Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a german blue ram in a 46 gallon, lightly planted tank that is ill. Both of his eyes are popping out, and there is a larger bump on the middle of his head that is pinkish. He is breathing with some more difficulty and swimming on the the bottom only. I added a half dose of aquarium salt to help him breathe. This is only two to three weeks after treating him for pop eye. From the last time he got some minor scars. The tank contains a hi-fin leopard pleco, chinese algae eater, 3 cories, him and his girlfriend(rams) both are around max size. The water perameters are normal, the pH is 6.8, hardness is 25GH, nitrite 0, and nitrate 5ppm. I need to add some tap water to get the buffering capacity up. Any suggestions on treatment?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I think a broad spectrum antibiotic is needed. Maracyn I and II in combination (or Maracyn Plus) may knock out what ever is ailing him and should be safe with plants. They have the ability to disrupt your beneficial bacteria, so watch out for ammonia/nitrite spikes when using antibiotics. Make sure you do the full recommended treatment (4 times) even though it's going to cost quite a bit to do it.

A trick you can use, if your filters still work, is to drain the tank part way so that you only have to threat 30 gallons instead of 46.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunantly he died the day after I posted. What a shame, his mate was full of eggs and ready, for the first time, she was older too. He spawned with another female a couple monthes previously, but someone got to the eggs. After that the three angels killed two female rams, so I traded the angels in for more female rams. Now I have gotten rid of the rams, took the tank apart, and starting over with hopefully some better parenting Kribs with cherry barbs as dithers. Going to pick up four or six Kribs today and all that is left to do is get two pairs and sell the remaing two.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts