509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just add Flourish Excel to your planted mbuna tank :x

I guess I'll try root tabs next.

Anyone want to buy a newly opened bottle of excel? :D

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I assume that you had some type of bad result? Can you tell us what happened so we might know a bit more about the complaint? I've used Excel with no bad result other than one has to watch for melting some types of plants. I don't think of mbuna and plants too often as there are so many that eat the plants.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I left out the detail of what happened.

All of my fish became immediately stressed. They started pacing like crazy along both ends of the tank. Within minutes about half of them sat listlessly on the bottom.

As soon as I saw the pacing I started draining my tank. The 50% water change gave them immediate relief and they are doing fine this morning.

I have planted my tank with anubias and java fern. My fish pretty much leave it alone.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience with using the Excel. I haven't had any problems using it in my planted Malawi, Tang or shrimp tanks. I always add the recommended dose right after a 50% water change and then the reduced amount every other day.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I dont have any plant, except a Marimo Moss ball, but am looking into getting some, For my knowledge any idea why this happened or what was making them pace n lie there?

Does it increase Nitrates or something?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Or...you can let my 3 yr old daughter stop by with a bottle of bubble soap so the fishies can blow bubbles to. as she put it after pouring half the bottle into my 150 gallon preformed pond the other day. Had to completely empty pond rinse out & refill. Luckily I didnt loose any goldfish.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
I dont have any plant, except a Marimo Moss ball, but am looking into getting some, For my knowledge any idea why this happened or what was making them pace n lie there?

I only stopped long enough to test pH and I didn't see a noticeable difference. I should have grabbed a water sample in a cup but I was moving pretty quick to change the water.

I'll probably run a test on some tap water before attempting to dose any tank I own with it again.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
dotbomb said:
xxbenjamminxx said:

I only stopped long enough to test pH and I didn't see a noticeable difference. I should have grabbed a water sample in a cup but I was moving pretty quick to change the water.

I'll probably run a test on some tap water before attempting to dose any tank I own with it again.
Well glad to hear that there wasnt any loses for ya! That would have really bummed me out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey dotbomb,
If you only have Anubias and Java Ferns you won't need root tabs as they get their nutrients from the water column rather than the substrate. I use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive liquid fertilizer and dose once a week a day or so after a water change. I have a couple tanks with just Anubias and Java Fern that I don't even dose a fertilizer and they do fine.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeaninel said:
Hey dotbomb,
If you only have Anubias and Java Ferns you won't need root tabs as they get their nutrients from the water column rather than the substrate. I use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive liquid fertilizer and dose once a week a day or so after a water change. I have a couple tanks with just Anubias and Java Fern that I don't even dose a fertilizer and they do fine.
Thanks. Good to know! I'm definitely not going to be adding anything for a while. I have Seachem Flourish for my 20g long that has wisteria and anacharis and those seem to like it.

I'll probably try Flourish out on the 100g tank.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
No way to say at this point but I would guess there are other reasons rather than just the Excel. Sometimes we mess ourselves up and just never know what it was. Possible polution of some sort would be my guess. Maybe like washing your hands good before moving some plants???? Little things that we don't see can bite us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't use excel at all anymore. I dosed it following instructions on the bottle and lost 2 ram cichlids because of it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a plastic syringe/medicine dropper I use for measurements.

I followed the dosing instructions for Day 1 on the label and within minutes my fish were stressed. I think it is unlikely that the stress was just coincidental.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts