Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were setting up a tank of Mbuna and were only going to put 3 species groups in there, which ones would you go for and why?

This is out of interest and also to give me some ideaa over possibly doing this myself. I just thought it would be interesting to hear peoples views.[/list]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess a lot depends on your experience level, but my favorite 3 species to put together are "true" Yellow Labs, Yellow-tailed Aceis, and Mainganos. The colors gold, lilac, and deep blue with stripes are awesome together and all 3 species are reasonably peaceful.

That was my first mbuna tank set up and I will probably always have that combination of fish.

Don't know about the U.K., but in the U.S., those 3 species are pretty readily available.

·
Registered
977 Posts
In one tank, I currently have Yellow labs, Blue dolphins and Peacocks/Aulonocara Stuartgranti Nkhata. I'd consider replacing the peacocks with something in red though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friend had Demasoni, Yellow Labs and Afra Cobue which i also liked but i guess you could argue the Dems and Cobue are similar looking in so far as colour/stripes are concerned.

I think if I did reserve myself to 3 species i would want Blue, Yellow and another, perhaps red or albino-ish.

My previous Mbuna set up I had a trio of Sp44 Vics, 1m/2f. I know not one for the purist but i loved that male and he fitted in really well with the Mbuna and offered a different look.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I went with labs,Acei and Rustys. I was looking for fish that would for the most part get along and be easy to take care of and so far it's working. I need to wait till some get bigger to vent so I can get a good ratio of male/female. I also have 1 demasoni and 1 socofoli and they are doing fine with the others.

Over all they provide a good mix of color with a little attitude.

·
Registered
106 Posts
depends on the size of you tank also. haps/peacocks need a lot of swimming room.
but regardless labs are always a favorite and are a good reason to be.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim, is the top picture your Rustie? He's a stunner. Certainly have my interest picked up in them - never had one before.

I loved my socofoli, I had to get rid of him unfrotunately back when I lost my Mbuna tank 3-4 years ago. On a side note, yesterday I went to my LFS and they still have him in their display Mbuna tank - I gave him to them, he's a big 'un now!

I am also tempted by the Acei because again, it's a type i've never had before but always admired.

Anyone else got a set of 3 they would go for if restricted to that?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Yes, you would have to specify the tank size. For example, Maingano may not be ideal in a 55G.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yellow tailed Acei.
A large group of these would be the closest to a shoaling species of Mbuna.
Probably my favourite Mbuna.

Sprengarea.
One of my favourite and yet very underrated Mbuna. Great temperament and lovely colours.

Melanachromis Interruptus.
I have a large group of these in my tank. 1m and 5f`s. Although fairly boisterous I just the colours
of both the male and females. A great site to behold when breeding..

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm probably gonna do:

Cyno. afra "jalo reef"

Gephyochromis moori or Met. sp. "daktari"

Pseudotropheus sp. elongatus (chewere, mpanga, ruarwe...not sure yet and depends on availability)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have red zebras, yellow labs, and demasoni.

Demasoni: I started with about 50 demasoni and they killed each other off, so I took all the rocks out of my 125 gallon (about 300 pounds of rock) every few months, caught a holding female, and raised about a dozen demasoni in a 29 gallon and put them back in the display tank. Did that for a few years until I got lazy and my demasoni killed each other off, now I only have four left, one HUGE male and three medium size females that are basically shreaded. The male is perfect though of course LOL. I'll never do demasoni again unless I only have one as they are a beautiful fish and don't pick on the labs or zebras at all.

Red Zebra: Can't remember how many I started with but I think I bought them at PetCo or Petsmart. They were bright orange when I bought them and faded quickly, I suspect feeding of hormones. Many became very deformed with age and none of them ever bred. Very bad stock, I'll never buy from a pet store chain again.

Yellow Labs: I started with about seven labs and now have about 50! These guys reproduce right in the tank and I alway see one or two small babies that make it. At first I caught some and raised them in a 29 gallon, now I have way too many. I need to get rid of some but it's hard to break up the family!

Here's a current photo of my tank, but I'm thinking of adding some more color, maybe a few Acei and maybe some OB zebras.

By the way, my current setup is about six years old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My german line red x reds
Jalo reefs
Like everyone said yellow labs

I love demasoni but they are far too agressive.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 55 gallon I wanted a good mix of color:

White Top Hara (great light and dark blues)
yellow labs (yellow)
rusties (orange/red/brown/purple)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
esparzar1 said:
If I was gonna do three species for a 55-65 gal tank I'd do...
Met. Msobo (great colors for male and female)
Cyno Sp. Hara (again, great colors for male female)
and maybe Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Ngara)

You would have a awesome color scheme of orange/blue/white/black....just my 2 cents :thumb:
I must say, that's an attractive mix.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hmm.. in a 65..

Cyno sp Hara
Yellow Labs
Demasoni

(if it was 75, I would have said Maingano instead of Dem's)...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts