Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, after reading some threads, it seems like Kim needs as much info as possible... so, bear with me:
i have a 90 gallon tank that has been up and running for years... i have replaced gravel with sand, reaquascaped mulitiple times, even bought new filters, and got rid of some old ones... not all in a week, but throughout my 2-3 years of fish keeping... more recently, i got rid of my old hybrids, and bought 17 new fish(fry 1-1.5") look at "my tank" to see the species... i have had the new fish for about 3-4 months now, possibly 5 months... i have been noticing that multiple fish seem to be "flashing" against the sand and my rocks... although i haven't seen any spots develops yet, i always thought that "flashing" against substrate and decor was ick... is there anything else it could be... i did read that they flash when you do waterchanges... but i am really paying attenttion to my parameters to see how long i can/should go before i do waterchanges... i used to do them everyweek(30-40%)... i bought a new test kit maybe a month ago, so i know that is good... my parameters all seem to be fine(here are the pics of the test results)

PH

Ammonia

Nitrite

nitrate

i think i got everything... i hope.. let me know if you need more info, but just curious if it is something i need to worry about, or if there are illnesses that are invisible... this has been going on for a few days now, and like i said i haven't done a waterchange in(this is my 2nd week) 2 weeks... could it just be that i need to do waterchanges everyweek, or what?
thanks guys.
brent

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My guess is that if you're trying to stretch out your water changes, the fish are reacting to what you're trying to do. They get used to us doing things one way, and then we change it up on them.

Since you don't have any spots, do a water change, and don't change the way you do things. See if this helps...Although your water appears to be right on the money, I would not change things. Weekly tank maintenance is perfect, IMO.

Should you notice that they are flashing more in the gill area, you may be dealing with gill flukes. You can't see them, but they do tend to occur when maintenance isn't routine more often than when you're doing regular maintenance on the tank. Just a thought...

Kim

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok... i'll do water changes every week, its not hard, i just thought if my parameters were good, then i technically don'e need to do them... but i will just to play it safe... and it seems that they flash strickly on their sides... but i never really sat and watched closely..
thanks again...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts