Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to interrupt micros thread on how to stock the new tank, so I decided to start an optional approach. I would love to have the problem, and believe me it would as much a problem.

I am big on L. Tanganyika.

If I had a 7 foot long tank I would spend hours building a scene such as Ad Konings defines the regions. Maybe a surge tank, with scattered rock piles and 6 power heads stirring the H out of the sand substrate (pre-filtered of course with sponges). Then I would stock it with fish endemic to the bioscape.

Or maybe I would construct a towering sloping rock pile to the rear of the tank to similate the precipitous rocks and stock it with colonies of rock dwellers. Thirty or forty 3 inch cichlids of many species plus colonies; now THAT would not be boring. I am inclined toward this.

If I had a tank that spanned the whole wall of a room I would do the rocks and stock 6-8 juvies of every specie-type that occurs in the biosphere in THE lake and see what survives.

Is anyone with me on this?

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
It would be foai and cyps for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice topic Lestango. I love the rock dweller idea...a 220 could certainly house a lot of julies :thumb: . Although recovering any fry could prove challenging...

DJ - my original idea for a 220 was to move my foai and cyps into it. Unfortunately I only have 7 foai and 14 micros. Would definitely want more for a tank that size and I don't currently have access to the same localities I keep (Kabogo and Kilila, respectively).

current 220 ideas I'm considering:
Gibberosa colony w Leleupi
Tropheus colony w gobies
2 Tropheus colonies
Petrochromis w Tropheus
Foai w Micros
Benthochromis tricoti
Colonies of rock dwellers

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:(

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think 7 foai and 14 micros is plenty of fish for a 220. Maybe add a pair of calvus or comps to complete the tank. This would give the fish some room to swim and once the fish become adults the tank would be fairly full in my opinion.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I do have this problem I have an empty 220G 7'x2'x30"?

I think im doing foai but not sure yet. I have some juvie Foai growing up now but I just can't decide what else to do.

That tank came with a massive wet dry sump.

Its been empty for two months now just staring at me every time I go down to the fish room :(

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could give you my address (ie: where to donate it to). I would be happy to ease this problem for you Furc. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.