Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, brand new to this forum but have already enjoyed reading all the awesome information and truly beautiful images and videos that folks have posted.

I recently changed my 55g boring community tank into an african cichlid tank, i added a couple female kenyi's and then got really lucky when a friend needed to break their cichlid tank down and got 9 more free cichlids! woot! =]

Anyways, i'd like to confirm the identity of these guys, only 3 different varieties i believe and one is for sure Kenyi's.

i believe i made that album public for anyone to view, but if i did it wrong just let me know and i'll post them somewhere else.

As far as i know i have 4 female and 1 male Kenyis, 2 female and 1 male Yellow labs and 3 ruby reds. I would absolutely be thrilled to know their "real" scientific name if possible.

Thanks a ton everyone, i'm so thrilled with these fish i just can't even express how much. Such character and such fun loving little guys. i was nearly able to pet 2 or 3 of them yesterday haha what a trip!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after looking at others posts, it looks as tho posting the images to photobucket or the like is more appropriate. =] sorry about that.. here goes:

#1 - Ruby Red on the top right and male Kenyi bottom left correct? anyone know their real names?

#2 - male kenyi happily surrounded by female kenyis?

#3 - 1 male yellow lab and 2 females? plus a female kenyi on the top

would love some help identifying the real names, plus how to tell male from females for the labs and the ruby reds. Would also love to know which lake they tend to be from if thats possible. thanks a ton.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
"Ruby Red" is a Jewel cichlid. West African species.

The Kenyi shot is all Kenyi; at least 1 male, maybe more (sub-dom/juvi males are blue). 2 yellow labs in that last shot and a possible hybrid (in background). Sexing them is only done through venting or seeing a female hold eggs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hemichromis bimaculatus is your jewel cichlid, Pseudotropheus lombardoi is your kenyi and Labidochromis caeruleus is your yellow lab.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
The "Kenyis" seem to be the usual quite far from wild types.
Take a look at the profiles to see what you should realy get if paying out for breeding stock of Metriaclima lombardoi 5 clear bars on young fish for close to wild, 6 on generations a bit down the line pond or TB Broken bars and more than six on very poor fish. This fish is very hardy but is not generally recommended for beginners because of its very aggressive disposition; notwithstanding, this fish is usually found in every fish shop. Unfortunately, many naive beginners unsuspectingly purchase this fish due to its very attractive juvenile form.

Yep they should breed for you given the numbers with a good tank size but I would sure look for better stock if looking to breed and sell. :oops:

Bottom pic is of some nearly All Yellow labs. These are a man made fish. Crossing Labidochromis caeruleus (Lion's Cove I) with Metriaclima estherae (Red) then back crossing with Labidochromis caeruleus to produce a more orangy yellow lab. Yours have then kind of lost what they were bred for. A good all over orangy colour without black fins or bars and become a fish without the merrits of good Labidochromis caeruleus or the well bred hybrid line.

Yep they should breed for you given the numbers with a good tank size but I would sure look for better stock if looking to breed and sell. :oops:

All the best James

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow thanks tropheus! i'd never even thought to consider breed "polution", that is some very interesting information. I'm certainly not at the point in my fish knowledge to be able to breed for selling or shows or anything like that, but your info has definately ignited a curiosity in me!! =]

Honestly I love taking pics of them and just enjoying time with them, they are so funny some times. I actually have some company over and threw an algae wafer in and everyone got a lot of laughs over the frenzy of cichlid "tag" with the big wafer hanging out of their mouths.. so funny!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.