Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have four Yellow Labs in my tank and was having trouble identifying the sex of one of them (definitely 1 dominant male and 2 females).

I was pretty sure he/she was a sub dominant male, as showed some back all the appropriate fins, but pretty faint and a similar size to the male. Then today I saw the most amazing thing...

The same fish was dancing around (courting?) with a Lab I know is female and there was a brilliant amount of black on all his fins! Shortly after the dominant male turned up and almost all the black faded from the subdominant male, right before my eyes!

Has anyone else witnessed this awesome colour change? Am I right in thinking this fish is likely to be a some dominant male, trying to blend in when in a group, but colouring up when on his own with a female?

Thanks for any advice,

Ian.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes. Constantly. My sub-dominant male gets very dark pecs, dorsal, and anal, and vertical stripes, until the dominant male chases him. In just seconds, the color fades, and he hides.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have a clear dominant male (in my avatar), who shows dark black lower fins. I have a second larger lab that I'm currently unsure of the the sex, but he/she is just now showing a constant black line on the bottom fin. Not very pronounced, but clearly there. The other 3 don't usually show any black. I say usually, because the other day I came home, flipped on the tank light, and looked into the tank and was surprised to see some black on the bottom fins of ALL the labs. Within seconds of the light going on, they all faded back to white, except for the dominant lab.

Yes, color can change, and chage quickly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts