Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I had to repose because the site wouldn't let me post a URL without any previous posts.

Hi! I am new to the forum but joined because I love fish!
In my tank I currently have 4 Bolivian rams. I thought I had their sex all figured out but I keep second guessing myself because they never breed. If someone could please shed some light on this issue, I'd really really appreciate it.
Link to photos below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/i-love-pho ... 832188196/

·
Registered
694 Posts
You correctly ID'd the sex of all the fish. Not sure why they wouldn't have bred yet. How long have you had them?

Sand substrate with several smooth, flat stones as spawning sites would be best.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
edburress said:
You correctly ID'd the sex of all the fish. Not sure why they wouldn't have bred yet. How long have you had them?

Sand substrate with several smooth, flat stones as spawning sites would be best.

Ed
I've had 3 of them for about 8 months and the other smallest female I just picked up today.
I have rather large gravel in my tank but picked up some really fine gravel today and plan to do a change out. I also have flat river rocks in the tank. There are a number of times I saw all breeding behavior: male doing his quirky sideways movements, cleaning of the rocks, females tube sticking out a lot but nothing happened.I'm pretty bummed. Hopefully now that I got another female something might happen.
Tankmates are pristella tetras, 1 zebra tetra and 1 chinese algae eater.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
It sometimes take ages for them to get it right and they can easely mess up 20 spawns (eat eggs for example) but once they get it right and consider the environment good to raise their brood they can spawn every week for months in a row. Be patient, feed high qualety food (frozen and pellets) and keep the water clean. A fine grain substrate is a good choice and I prefer sand becouse of their digging and sand sifting behaviour. :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. Guess I just gotta be patient. My large male always does his weird mating body wiggling but my female always just ignores him and tries to swim away. Maybe she just doesn't like him??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts