Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a M/F potential pair of F1 calvus recently from someone who purchased them as fry from Wild parents at <vendor name removed>. They were sold to him as Black Calvus lupota "inkfin" I wasn't overly concerned with breeding them as much as I thought they were beautiful additions to my tank so I don't really care if they're "inkfin" or not, but I am curious...

My 4" male has a really bright yellow patch on his "snout" (more intense than the photos show) and his fins have a yellowish blaze or glow. Nice blue lips too. I just haven't seen a Black Calvus male with so much yellow before without being a yellow calvus, or do I just not know the species well enough yet?

The 2" female changes color often, sometimes displaying black fins and sometimes having spots and a whiter body depending on whether my Frontosa are spooking her or not.

Thoughts? Thank you-

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome info, thanks for the link to that thread. These definitely have translucent pectorals so they must not be. It's just odd that <vendor name removed> would sell something that it wasn't. Perhaps they had a pair that looked like inkfin a and did not produce offspring of the same stature and didn't know as they were sold young. My seller at least didn't label them as such.

Either way, I like the fish and the color my male has regardless!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THeyre seriously a lot of fun. Each has dug out a hole in the sand of rocks on opposite sides of the tank. The male keeps going over to bug the female. It'd be fun to see some babies develop. I'm going to start using a turkey baster to feed the female as she doesn't get enough food with my ravaging fronts. It'd help feed fry with some crushed NLS as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts