Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got him from a LFS that specializes in cichlids only, peacocks and yellow labs for some reason... great little shop
anywho i asked the owner and he said he had never had one like that and its a first, so i had to buy it but i dont know what it is... the one with the yellow tipped fin and bumble bee looking ish one
i have some other ones too that look like demasonis but they dont have the dark black fins

thanks for the help
is their like a picture index where i can look?

·
Registered
60 Posts
It means that the supplier used hormones either in the fishes food or various other ways to make this male "Color up" prematurely. At that size odds are in a couple months he will not look as brilliant as he does now.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
killakam said:
hormoned? what do you mean?
There are Farms that choose to feed/inject their fish with hormones. This gives them male characteristics earlier, full colour, longer than normal finnage is the key indicators.

The ramifications are that these fish will fade once home, have a higher early mortality rate, and if they are actually female, will never regain the colour.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow that sucks :( i wish i would have known....
im gonna upload pics of my other peacocks... cus some look to me like they have longer then noraml fins

·
Registered
60 Posts
Usually if any juvenile fish contain color like an adult they are hormoned. Your peacocks should if they are all about 3 inch's contain "some" color but you cannot expect it to be bright and glowing like you see in many adult fish. It happens to us all. Live and learn! :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my others have dim colors, dull if that... that steveni is the only bright one, and my biggest one is like a dark purple with blue... idk ill get pics up soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts