Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just set up a new 90 gallon aquarium and bought some Malawi cichlids to fill it. Unfortunately, the store only labelled the tank assorted cichlids and I'm not sure exactly what type each one is. I'm pretty sure most of them are mbuna, but any help in identifying each one would be much appreciated.

Also the black one is the king of the tank, he chases around some of the smaller fish, but what is weird is that he's not eating very well, not sure if this is normal for this type of what, thanks again for any help

·
Registered
705 Posts
1. Acei (hard to tell on angle but nearly certain)
2.Kenyi
3.possible rusty (perhaps hybrid)
4.Male Melanochromis "not sure" coming into male colors.
5. not sure (probably hybrid of some sort)
6. perlmutt
7. again a melanochromis "not sure" on specific variant (probably hybrid)
8. appears to be a "White" yellow lab.

i am by no means an expert so wait for a few others to chime in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, it's really appreciated
Here's another shot of the first fish as well as a couple others I bought. I'm pretty sure one is a dolphin head, and then then a few black acei.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Fish in second photo there appears to be C. Moori "Blue dolphin" hap. I can see the spots slightly and its showing a few bars, which can come and go. The others in those newer photos im not sure about.

·
Registered
365 Posts
#6 in the first batch looks like a juvenile kenyi getting his male coloration, and the fish in the second pic really looks like a C. moorii

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the help, any idea on what #5 is? I talked to my uncle who also keeps malawi cichlids and he think it may be some species of hap cichlid. Also the melanochromis from pic 7 hasn't really eaten since I added him a week ago. I would attribute it to stress however he is the king of the tank, chasing the other fish around. But while I feed them, he just swims around, occasionally hiding in his cave. I've tried flakes, shrimp pellets, special cichlid pellets, algae disks, fresh lettuce, nothing. He doesn't look bloated at all so I'm not sure what is up with him. Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
try frozen peas it is pretty cheap and all my cichlids love them and go crazy when I drop peas in my tank, you ll have to crush the peas out of their "shell" to give them only the inside of it :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts