Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60x18x24 1700gph argonite crushed mbuna
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Id like some ideas on a new tank to put together?
I have a 75g that measures
58" x 14" x 21" its 379 litres according to the calculator on this site.
So, im hunting for stocking ideas/what basin/species/community, the options...

*** kept mbuna cichlid for a long time.
Have upgraded my diaplay tank in the living room.
All is well there but a change/different fish would be nice.
Need to build the stand and decide where it will go still...decisions!

I have a spare tank i know that :LOL::oops:
Any ideas spring to mind?!

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Do you want visual contrast?
Something seriously different from the Mbuna-themed aquariums of the past, and your current display tank?
Aquatic Plants, towering bogwood pieces, moss-covered rocks, and the somewhat slower pace of a heavily planted aquarium - with the quiet, balanced rhythm of riverine species Cichlids (and other fish!) - could be what you are looking for. :cool:

Reactions: SenorStrum

·
Registered
242 Posts
I second @Auballagh ‘s suggestion, I had never gotten too much into planted tanks before and recently have set a couple up, it’s been really interesting

·
Registered
60x18x24 1700gph argonite crushed mbuna
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like planted tanks but they take a lot to get right and to trim/tidy loog great.
I see the appeal, but im thinking on getting a predator species something like a pickrel or a ???
Cycling the tank just with water so still undecided..
Kinda know i want a predator

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
A pickerel?
yawn
How 'bout one of these guys?
Or....
You could just a LITTLE crazy I suppose, and just get a Guapote'. Your 75 gallon tank size will limit just how crazy you can get, unfortunately. But, a Chiapaheros grammodes, (Sieve or Mini-Dovii) would grow out about right.... Or, from Honduras you could try a bit more color in the Parachromis motaguensis, (Red Tiger Mota).
Unfortunately, its pretty doubtful that much else would be able to survive however, in a 75 gallon tank with one of those predatory brutes in it. :eek:
-
And lastly, there are some seriously VICIOUS, predatory riverine beasts from Africa. Look no further that Hemichromis for that.... A pair of Hemichromis elongatus (Five-Star General) may work out in a 75 gallon if you want a pair of those beasts. Hemichromis fasciatus though, is the real, Big Bad in that world. Quite possibly the nastiest, most vicious Cichlid (ON THE PLANET!), your 75 gallon tank will only be able to hold one of those, as they grow out at around a foot or so in length..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts