Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started cycling my tank in preparation for African Cichlids. I'm not happy with my setup compared to what I've seen out there. How does this look to you guys? Any ideas to improve?

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Eye of the beholder? I think it looks sleek and clean, but it depends on what look you're shooting for.

I have a million rocks in my aqaurium (not literally), but I like the idea of having the look of an underwater fish metropolis. :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
ironspider said:
I just started cycling my tank in preparation for African Cichlids. I'm not happy with my setup compared to what I've seen out there. How does this look to you guys? Any ideas to improve?
If I could find enough nice flat rocks like that I would fill my Mbuna tank with them.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
What kinds of Africans? Fish like mbuna would probably like a LOT more rocks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Maybe paint the back black or get a background

·
Registered
210 Posts
You want rocks to block off line of sight and make lots of hiding spaces. Right now they don't do that too much.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cyphro said:
You want rocks to block off line of sight and make lots of hiding spaces. Right now they don't do that too much.
I added a couple little pieces and two more large fake plants.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought 3 little demasoni yesterday from LFS, they get into all the nooks between the rocks. My other fish are coming today...So excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
A painted/sticky background will make a massive difference. All personal preference but generally blue or black and is cheap over a moulded rocky one or similar. Could try vinyl sticky one to see what you like then maybe paint the back (looks better IMO.)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DNK said:
A painted/sticky background will make a massive difference. All personal preference but generally blue or black and is cheap over a moulded rocky one or similar. Could try vinyl sticky one to see what you like then maybe paint the back (looks better IMO.)
I have about 3-4 inches between the tank and the wall now. No way I'd be able to put something on the back. I certainly don't think it's possible to move the 55g now.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Poster paper or construction paper is pretty thin. Cut it to fit the front of the tank and then slide it in the back and tape it to the top of the tank and sides in few places with clear tape. You might not be able to tape the bottom of it. Give it a try and see how it looks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is my set up. I'm completely new to keeping fish and I thought long and hard about Mbuna, but I'm glad I did. I remember someone telling me your tank should be a row of detached houses rather than terraced. The reason is if you have one dominant fish he'll want the whole row of houses. Where as if they are detached he can only have one leaving room for the others.

E4e4UtrLSg+mT6yZmH1KOA.jpg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chaddersp said:
Here is my set up. I'm completely new to keeping fish and I thought long and hard about Mbuna, but I'm glad I did. I remember someone telling me your tank should be a row of detached houses rather than terraced. The reason is if you have one dominant fish he'll want the whole row of houses. Where as if they are detached he can only have one leaving room for the others.

very nice, are you currently cycling? No fish yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts