Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 55g tanks are actually doing quite well at the moment. No hiding at the filters occuring, and only one female Demasoni has a nipped fin, which is healing up nicely. I would like to switch things up for a couple reasons. 1, to be proactive. 2, I worry about cross breeding between the msobo and the red zebra, even tho I have never seen any interest from either.... Here is a breakdown of my stocklist in both tanks and my pros and cons....

TOP 55G Fish List
Jalo Reef (1:2) (Male is in full color almost always) Prob the top dog in the tank, females color up some as well....(growing out more females. had one other female, but lost it.)

Yellow Labs (2:1) Males don’t really fight, the female has held twice (Nice splash of color) hard to get quality females.

Demasoni (Unknown #) Beautiful, active, males are not top in tank, only 1-2 males wanted in there, may have 3 right now. No fighting beyond some normal chasing.

Albino Socolofi (1:2)…Show stopping fish… Very nice contrast in the tank…Many guests favorite. Male used to be horrible, but has mellowed quite a bit. hard to get sexed females here. Had more, but lost them to a degenerative disease.

Bottom 55G Tank
Msobo (1:4-5) Male is amazing when colored, about 60% of time… Females are nice, held fry many times… fun and active fish. Aggresive, but not over the top.

Afra Nkhata Bay (1:2)Male has POTENTIAL to be showstopper. Is bullied pretty easily by the other fish in the tank, therefore hasnt colored much.

Red Zebra (1:1) Male is amazing, female is nice as well… Hard to get a sexed nice looking female… Need to add 2-3 good sized females if I want to keep the red zebras. Had a 2nd female, but lost her when she got stuck in between 2 rocks.

Trewavasae (0:3) All females right now. Have a nice white splash of color to them, orange in the dorsal. Smallest in the tank at about 2’’ Males when grown are amazing blue with orange dorsal. 2 males will be added to the tank on Monday….

Okay, now that the list is up there, I will mention that I just got rid of a super aggressive ob trewavase from the bottom tank. He was fine in there up until around 4''. He attacked my afras and hounded the females of the other species. He is now gone and the afras nkhata bays are recovering nicely. The male is actually starting to color back up...

I would like to shake things up, but hate to get rid of my current species....I have a 40g tank that is currently occupied by a lone female jack dempsey that I want to get rid of, but only to a good home. Once the jack is gone, I plan on moving the fish around....

Plan is, since the afra is bullied easily in my experience, I plan on putting them into the 40g, as well as the yellow labs, as these seem to be the most mild mannered species by far in the tanks...
As far as the msobo and the red zebra, I plan on separating them into different tanks to avoid crossbreeding issues once and for all...
This leaves me with Red Zebra, Msobo, Trewavase, Demasoni, Jalo Reef, and Albino Socolfi... Not sure on the combo as of yet.

Top 55g= Red Zebra, Dems, Albinos.
Bottom 55g= Msobo, Trewavase, Jalo Reef...

My concerns with this setup is that my Jalo Reef took a couple months to be comfortable and color fully all the time. If I put him in with msobo and trewavasae, those 2 are pretty aggressive.... Any ideas on what combo I should go with?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't have any advice for your stock, but I'd like to see this dual 55 stand. I built one recently for a 55 and 40 long for a breeding setup. Didn't find much out there when I was designing it though. Only ones I really saw were the store bought wrought iron dual 55 stands. Is that what you have?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im out of town this weekend, but ill take a pic if u want when i get back home. Its a built stand, theres a plan in the diy here on this site that specifies how to do a dual 55g stand. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.