Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really wanting to get some new fish that I've never kept before, been keeping cichlids for awhile but pretty much the common ones you can find anywhere. Wanting to check out some newer species. I look at everyones tanks on here and there are so many beautiful fish out there. Was wondering if the fellow CF members could give me a few ideas on some other CA/SA's to maybe consider. I posted another thread that I was considering nics, also really like the neets. But there's so much more out there. Plan on getting a couple more 55g-75g tanks so looking forward to having some new fish. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I really like cutteri and sajicas, they are similar to convicts but have more color.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Neets are great fish, but they can be really nasty. The male I had chased absolutely everything. During breeding, they must be on their own in my experience. The way they manage to get under a rock and lay flat underneath.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i would reccomend u get a parachromis motaguensis the are nice fish never owned one but im ordering one soon and the videos i watch they are very nice fish

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the sajicas, pretty fish. The mota cichlids are way cool but they're a little bigger then I'm looking for, someday maybe. I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to nics, neets, or electric blue jacks. But I'm gonna continue to research some more, won't be ordering for another week.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Parachromis motaguensis they are very nice fish and I would love to have them someday but they won't work in a 55 or 75.

Neets are very cool and beautiful the only problem is they are very aggressive or at least that's what I have read and been told.

Cutteri and Sajica are great fish. Or other species in the Archo/crypto family. Very beautiful and easy to breed and keep.

My favorite CA cichlid is the Salvini cichlid. Very beautiful and easy to keep and breed. A pair would work great in the 55 or 75 just make sure you have a divider handy. They are very aggressive during spawning.

You should also check out species in the Firemouth family

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I do like salvani as well, actually had one back in 2003 when I first started keeping cichlids. He was a holy terror but a joy to have. And I had firemouths back then too, very beautiful fish. Considering doing a 29gal with firemouths.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you like Firemouths, you might like Thorichthys ellioti. I believe also called Thorichthys Maculipinnis. I couldn't find any when I was stocking my 29, so I went with Rainbows. If I ever do find any I may put them in a 55 and move the Rainbws in with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts