Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have fry! Some yellow labs and acei. I can see several still in the fry pile in my main tank, but I was able to get about 10 out and I initially had them in a breeder net. I noticed my adult fish were starting to bite at the net, so I thought I needed to move them into a grow out tank.

The problem is, I only have a 10 gallon tank- which is currently inhabited by an OB zebra I am looking to rehome; I also have a 2.5 gallon tank. I put the fry temporarily into the 2.5 gallon with a sponge filter and tiny flat Hydor heater. Not sure how much it will heat the water though.

Can anyone give me input about ideal fry conditions? Do you think they will be ok in the small tank with the sponge filter temporarily? I really want to get them into the 10 gallon, but I need to find somewhere for the OB to go!!!

Any input would be great! thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i used a 5 gallon bucket for a few days... it worked 'till i had a 10 gallon set up.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Ideal fry conditions would be the 10G fully cycled with same temp as adult tank. The 2.5G will hold them if your sponge filter is from an established tank and the heater will keep the tank 78 degrees until you take the OB to the LFS tomorrow.

I've used a 5G bucket too, but always with heater and established filter running.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I agree with DJ, but I've used a 5G bucket with an airstone for about 4 days once...I just changed some of the water daily.

They're fine in the 2.5G, but give away the OB and get the 10G ready and you can keep a fair amount of fry comfortably in the 10G.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the sponge filter is well established, but I'm worried that the little heater won't keep it at 78 F. I did use water from the main tank.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I use a little 1.5g. tank as my first fry tank for at least a couple weeks before moving them to the 10g.. I have a little heater on it but find the heat from a near by lamp heats the water enough. We did have a couple pretty cold days this spring when I got up in the mornings, because the light is off at night, and the water was pretty darn cool. It didn't hurt them though. I think you'll be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts