Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just started my first African tank about 2 weeks ago and have a few more questions. I have a 29 to house these fish in and wanted to know where I could get some quality tank mates for the fish I already have.
Here are the two I have right now in a qt

I was told I could keep Neolamprlogus multifasciatus but I can not find them anywhere in my area. Every lfs in the area carries very few Lake Tanganyika cichlids, they wouldn't even order fish for me. It seems to be a Malawi friendly area. I did see some Lamprologus Ocellatus , would these be fine with the fish I have already? Also the above pic I need IDs . Thanks all.

·
Registered
705 Posts
ocellatus stay small. they have lots of spunk but overall the calvus/comps have been known to prey on shellies.. everyones experience's are different so it may work. if anything give the comps some rock and take the ocellatus. they are still pretty to look at and very similar to the multis. males being larger then females. when buying its a good bet to get one rather large individual and a bunch of the tiny guys. (females stay small) just my two cents. overall its a decent idea.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Anthraxx8500 for the quick response. I kinda held off to because they wanted $20 for each one. Is this a normal price? It seems high but like I said I'm new to Africans. Any suggestion on the fish in the picture?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Occies would go well with your young Altolamprologus calvus. In the years I've been on here, I have yet to hear of tank raised calvus injuring shellies. Of course, they are very good fry predators...

But- $20 ea is a bit steep. Check into your local cichlid clubs- you've got lots of crazy cichlid folks within a short distance. You could easily get occies or multies for closer to $5 each, and probably have much better quality fish. There are some good LFS, but if they're not going to order a very common fish for you, then I wouldn't worry about giving your business to a local hobbyist instead. :fish:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have checked for clubs in my area and there are none. I want to get something going on around here. I joined the ACA to see if there were any and thee are none. I also checked the forum too. Do you know of any near me?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Make sure to check the Classifieds here on C-F too. While it's not a club per se, eastcoastcichlids.org is a great resource for finding fish.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
triscuit said:
Make sure to check the Classifieds here on C-F too. While it's not a club per se, eastcoastcichlids.org is a great resource for finding fish.
Thanks again triscuit. I will have to check them out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I posted an ad in the trading post and I found some. I ordered 7 of them and got the overnight shipping. :dancing:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Flippercon said:
AZcichlidfreak said:
It may be alittle bit of a drive for you but you could also check out Capital Cichlid Association.
http://www.capitalcichlids.org
I will have to stop by there when I go to the convention in July. Thanks AZcichlidfreak :thumb:
Our club (Capital Cichlid Association) is hosting the ACA (American Cichlid Association) convention in Silver Spring Maryland this year. It should be a hoot. Jump on the forum and say hi.

Just make sure you have some extra empty tank space for when you come back from the convention with 20 bags of fish. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mokujin22 said:
Flippercon said:
AZcichlidfreak said:
It may be alittle bit of a drive for you but you could also check out Capital Cichlid Association.
http://www.capitalcichlids.org
I will have to stop by there when I go to the convention in July. Thanks AZcichlidfreak :thumb:
Our club (Capital Cichlid Association) is hosting the ACA (American Cichlid Association) convention in Silver Spring Maryland this year. It should be a hoot. Jump on the forum and say hi.

Just make sure you have some extra empty tank space for when you come back from the convention with 20 bags of fish. :)
Will do. Gonna sign up later tonight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.