Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Fish on the left is a Central American hybrid. Has a "flower line". These are markings that are common to "flowerhorns" (which are also CA hybrids) and originate from a trimac (Amphilophus trimaculatus). The fish definitely has Veija in it, and besides the "flowerline", resembles synspilum (Veija melanura). Could be a synspilum X flowerhorn cross (?), though really could be a mix of just about any CA cichlid.
Fish on the right, would need a better picture to be certain. What I can say for sure, the striping pattern on the head fits only 2 CA cichlids. Either convict cichlid (or hybrid there of) or Archoecentrus centrarchus. My suspicion is convict hybrid though we would need a better picture to determine.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The new pictures definitely show the fish much better. It is also a CA hybrid. A mix of Central American species; specifically what it has in it would be speculation. I would speculate, maybe a festae (Mesoheros festae)cross or maybe a mayan (Mayheros urophathalmus X Flowerhorn cross? With most hybrids there is often no way to determine what specifically both parents are.
I really jumped the gun with this statement:
BC in SK said:
What I can say for sure, the striping pattern on the head fits only 2 CA cichlids. Either convict cichlid (or hybrid there of) or Archoecentrus centrarchus. My suspicion is convict hybrid
In the very first picture, it appeared to me that it had striped markings on the gill plate, which points towards only 2 CA cichlids. From the new pictures i can see that those markings are not there but rather just some dark coloration over a larger area. With the new pictures, it appears to me that it is likely the fish in question probably has neither fish in the mix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.