Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to some very good luck and a cool job I was lucky enough to inherit this fish tank. So lucky me I have a new Cichlids setup...being totally new to the Africans scene I ask upon your help. My knowledge as far as fish is quite recent I have been in the hobby for only a year and have a 55Gallon Tropical aquarium with 2 Rainbow sharks, 1 Black ghost Knifefish, and 2 Gold Severums.

So any type of help is appreciated and welcome...
1. Tips on care, (besides reading this forum..which I already am)
2. Tips on feeding
3. Water quality and levels
4. Common knowledge tips!

This tank is 150 gallons, it has 2 Aquaclear 70 Powerheads, and 1 aerator. Here I leave some pics so you can identify the fish for me..since I truly dont know much about Africans.. Based on some reading I do believe I have recognized........
1 Blue Dolphin
1 Hybrid Peacock
a bunch of Jewels
and what I believe to be some Portalegrensis

........Am I correct? And what else do I have

·
Registered
677 Posts
lucky you for getting the tank... wish i had a similar job...

you have atleast 2 auratus in the tank...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess those are the light yellow and black striped ones... correct? I think I have 1 male of those and a few females..from my understanding the male has a black underbelly and the females are more yellow.
And yes it was great luck getting that tank for free...I am remodeling a restaurant and they told me "the tank goes"...so guess where "its" going (LOL)

·
Registered
677 Posts
lol...

Yep those are the ones... they are visible in the first and second pics, nearly in the middle...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The third picture down I see three green terrors/blue acara. I don't know which one but I see them . They have green striping on the bottom of the gill plate. Good find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flippercon said:
The third picture down I see three green terrors/blue acara. I don't know which one but I see them . They have green striping on the bottom of the gill plate. Good find.
Are you sure those are Green Terrors...I was told they were "Portalegrensis" or even maybe Jack Dempseys...but then again what do I know!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The face and spots are a little off to be dempseys. I m sure its terrors or acaras.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not terrors, but some sort of "Blue Acara". There are actually several species that go under this name, just as there are a couple of species known as Green Terrors. The distribution of the spangling, absence of any wide borders on the dorsal/caudal, as well as the facial markings, are wrong for any of the Terrors, which tend to have very strong facial striations. They are all in the same genus, but form two very distinct groups within that genus.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thanks Chromedome52 I always see acaras at the lfs sold as terrors and always get them mixed up. I knew it was in the same fAmily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chromedome52 said:
Not terrors, but some sort of "Blue Acara". There are actually several species that go under this name, just as there are a couple of species known as Green Terrors. The distribution of the spangling, absence of any wide borders on the dorsal/caudal, as well as the facial markings, are wrong for any of the Terrors, which tend to have very strong facial striations. They are all in the same genus, but form two very distinct groups within that genus.
Thanks for clearing that up...is there any way I can find out what kind of "Blue Acara" they might be. And what other fish do I have?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Awesome tank you lucky son of a gun. I would lose the coral and go with a more natural look. +1 on the auratus and the Greshakei.(imo) :p. You do have several jewels from what I can tell. Jewels are a riverine cichlid so natural water parameters are a little different than malawi cichlids. But if they are used to the water they should be fine. The jewels can be quite aggressive when breeding time comes around. Do you know if you have any pairs?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I wondering the same thing. Its some form of peacock I believe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kerricko said:
Awesome tank you lucky son of a gun. I would lose the coral and go with a more natural look. +1 on the auratus and the Greshakei.(imo) :p. You do have several jewels from what I can tell. Jewels are a riverine cichlid so natural water parameters are a little different than malawi cichlids. But if they are used to the water they should be fine. The jewels can be quite aggressive when breeding time comes around. Do you know if you have any pairs?
Yes I have already started to get rid of the coral, I am giving them a natural environment. I have gone to a local river and gotten some river rocks. I am just debating on my substrate now, I am not sure if to go with Pool filter sand or Aragonite. Any suggestions???? I will keep the black background on the tank so I want to have a contrasting color substrate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DanniGirl said:
First picture (also in 3rd and last) you have a Red peacock- German or Ruby, hard to tell.
Yes you are right I had seen that one already and figured it was that...what differentiates a German from a Ruby, how can I tell which one I got?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Big Dog Louis said:
Yes I have already started to get rid of the coral, I am giving them a natural environment. I have gone to a local river and gotten some river rocks. I am just debating on my substrate now, I am not sure if to go with Pool filter sand or Aragonite. Any suggestions???? I will keep the black background on the tank so I want to have a contrasting color substrate.
I use PFS in most of my tanks. I haven't tried aragonite.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts