Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thank you...My husband says Jewel...I have been saying Jack Dempsey all along. He has a mate...She does not have the speckles on her face and a blue throat....I think I have a pair...We bought them as a pair...only two in the tank...and it was a NASTY tank...They are so happy here in clean water...

Lisa

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yes defiantly a jack dempsey. Looks like a male.

·
Registered
843 Posts
granites2001 said:
I thank you...My husband says Jewel...I have been saying Jack Dempsey all along. He has a mate...She does not have the speckles on her face and a blue throat....I think I have a pair...We bought them as a pair...only two in the tank...and it was a NASTY tank...They are so happy here in clean water...

Lisa
A female Jack should have speckles on her face...Fat blue spangles along the jaw (below gill plate) especially (marks the difference between male and female--males won't have it, like in your posted pic). She won't have many on her body (and the male will have a lot, like yours). Female will have spangles on face, dorsal, tail, and perhaps along her body but fewer. Perhaps, your female is a jewel? Cichlids of different species may hybridize. The fish in your pic is a JD but that doesn't mean his mate is. . .Pic of her?

·
Registered
977 Posts
+1 male JD.

Here are some of my females...

not to be confused with a colourful male...

he's got spots instead of blotches.

·
Registered
358 Posts
JEWEL... :fish: :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys! I definitely have a pair...My girl looks exactly like Riceburner's pics and right NOW I have a 75 gallon tank with mom and dad and TONS of little fry...I had 4 Mbuna's in the tank, but when I saw the fry today moved them back to the 125 gal and mom and dad are pretty happy having the 75 to themselves...They are pretty diligent parents...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts