Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was labeled Rudy Crystal Peacock at my LFS. I researched and have found a few different possibilities but would appreciated any and all opinions. Thx!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
"RuBy Crystal Peacock" is a trade name for such cross genera hybrids.

Debatable if the name means exactly something, but the fish does seem like one of those types of hybrids. There are a few otehr trade names for these types of hybrids. Roby Crystal seems like as good as name as you can use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Noki. Some of the things I found online were dragonblood, firefish etc... The group they had were very nice and healthy looking. I have an all male tank so having a hybrid would not be an issue with breeding. I am just trying to stay away from hybrids but it is sometimes difficult. Thanks again for your input

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Darrenmay said:
Thanks Noki. Some of the things I found online were dragonblood, firefish etc... The group they had were very nice and healthy looking. I have an all male tank so having a hybrid would not be an issue with breeding. I am just trying to stay away from hybrids but it is sometimes difficult. Thanks again for your input
Yes, there are various names for these "boutique" hybrids. They may have originated from different hybrid recipes, or just given different names but nobody knows for sure what they are exactly and once they go mass market they vary quite a bit. So the names are vague.

They hybrids are a mix of genera, and sometimes can be more like Mbuna in aggression.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Darrenmay said:
This was labeled Rudy Crystal Peacock at my LFS. I researched and have found a few different possibilities but would appreciated any and all opinions. Thx!
I have a few of these in my tank. When I picked them out I didn't realize they were hybrids. It is all good though. They are still beautiful fish and get along fine enough with the others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts