Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm that I have a Melanochromis Johanni and a Metriaclima Callainos?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Callainos looks dead on, but the striped one looks JUST like a maingano (easily mistaken for Johanni).

Here's my maingano pic

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Glaneon said:
Callainos looks dead on, but the striped one looks JUST like a maingano (easily mistaken for Johanni).

Here's my maingano pic
"maingano" is not a scientific name, rather a location collection of Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. I appreciate it is difficult at times to remember to call fish by their proper names, but it would be difficult for a person newer to the hobby to find the information on this fish, trying to search for Maingano only. You wouldn't find maingano easily in the library or profiles. Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos, and the person can easily find information.

I believe your ID is correct though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chunkanese said:
Right on mystery solved. Fish look great, i love your rock work, what kind of rocks are they? (without derailing this)
Mainly Lace rock and a few reef I picked up off the beach.

Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WHat would female Melanochromis Johanni and Metriaclima Callainos look like?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
dmpjr said:
WHat would female Melanochromis Johanni and Metriaclima Callainos look like?
Female johanni are yellow, but you don't have johanni.

Female M. cyaneorhabdos look pretty much the same as the males, same with callainos, though they don't "glow" or have the iridescence of the male.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fog, thank you for clearing that up for me. I was told they were Johanni but I kind of thought I as misinformed.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Fogelhund said:
"maingano" is not a scientific name, rather a location collection of Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. I appreciate it is difficult at times to remember to call fish by their proper names, but it would be difficult for a person newer to the hobby to find the information on this fish, trying to search for Maingano only. You wouldn't find maingano easily in the library or profiles. Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos, and the person can easily find information.

I believe your ID is correct though.
Sorry, you are correct - and I know better. Thanks for clearing it up :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts