Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, just wanted to let everyone know that I am new to CF but have used it many times; VERY informative site here.

I just upgraded to a 75g tank and have been slowly stocking it with african cichlids from local breeders. I picked up a few fish that I cannot Identify, pics are below. I wish the pics were better, I just can't seem to get a good shot!

PIC 1(Orange Spotted Cichlid on the top right AND Bright Orange/Red Cichlid in the bottom right)

PIC 2 (Light Blue w/ an orange/reddish top)

PIC 3 (Same as above)

PIC 4 (Darker body with orange fins)

PIC 5 (Same as above)

PIC 6 (Possibly Demasoni?)

PIC 7 (Possibly Demasoni?)

Thanks for your help!

PS Do you think 35 africans is too much for a 75 gallon?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
1. The orange spotted is an OB red zebra. The other is a peacock. Not sure what type, since I don't keep them.
2&3. Greshakei? Maybe? Is its body actually that curved? Looks deformed in those shots.
4&5. Copadichromis borleyi juvie or female.
6&7. Not demasoni. Hard to tell since it looks stressed with the flat black coloring. I'd guess pseudotropheus/metriaclima hybrid?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea they are all a little stressed, a lot has been going on lately. The light blue one is definitely deformed though, is that a bad thing? I also adopted a paralized maingano, he can only use the front part of his body :eek:

As far as overstocking goes, I should be able to lower my numbers once my friend gets his tank set up at his new place. He will probably take 10-12 labs/maingano....

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Maingano look nice. :)

Pic 1 ... that "Peacock" is a hybrid, they call them different made up names, take your pic

Pic 2 and 3... seems like an old rather deformed male... I guess Pseudotropheus "Perspicax Orange Cap", which is not that common

the last one is just very hard, as their are many similar Mbuna when not in color. What kind of markings can you discern?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The most color I have been able to see are dark vertical bands along his entire body, hence the demasoni guess?

Pic 2/3 has me lost. The Metriaclima greshakei has red in his tail fin, but mine does not. The "Perspicax Orange Cap" has a "rusty" head, and mine does not. Who knows. I am leaning toward greshakei due mainly to the fact that he is more than 4"....

Maingano look nice. Smile
Thanks! I have 12 of them and they are all beautiful. I am afraid that I may have to rehome some though, space is scarce. :(

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
WillWork4Fish16 said:
The most color I have been able to see are dark vertical bands along his entire body, hence the demasoni guess?

Pic 2/3 has me lost. The Metriaclima greshakei has red in his tail fin, but mine does not. The "Perspicax Orange Cap" has a "rusty" head, and mine does not. Who knows. I am leaning toward greshakei due mainly to the fact that he is more than 4"....

Maingano look nice. Smile
Thanks! I have 12 of them and they are all beautiful. I am afraid that I may have to rehome some though, space is scarce. :(
A Demasoni should never that drab... sometimes that get a washed out look when scared, but that one is dark

Pic 2/3 doesn't have the same face as a Greshakei, and the red in the dorsal would not just be at the top like that.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
WillWork4Fish16 said:
is that a bad thing?
Problem is if he is suffering (being bullied because of this etc) though that does not look the case, though maybe when your other fish grow. Or if genetic if alowed to breed not many would want the young. If originaly caursed by fish TB or skinny disease or spine twisting disease fish may now be resistant but may be a carryer, I guess and could if so infect other fish. Think it might be a old Lab of some sort but very hazy, hard to ID deformed guys.

To be honest once you have this fish if you do not mind the look of them then I guess keeping em in a quite peaceful type set up without breeding is the kindest thing for them, as long as they seem unstressed.

All the best James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem is if he is suffering (being bullied because of this etc) though that does not look the case, though maybe when your other fish grow. Or if genetic if alowed to breed not many would want the young. If originaly caursed by fish TB or skinny disease or spine twisting disease fish may now be resistant but may be a carryer, I guess and could if so infect other fish. Think it might be a old Lab of some sort but very hazy, hard to ID deformed guys.

To be honest once you have this fish if you do not mind the look of them then I guess keeping em in a quite peaceful type set up without breeding is the kindest thing for them, as long as they seem unstressed.
I actually got him from Craigslist with about 5 others I have in the tank now, all of which are doing great. He does not seem stressed, and is one of the most active in the tank actually. The only problems I am having with my tank are constant flashing from quite a few fish, and one of my Maingano has a white patch around his eye.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts