Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to cichlids but have many years of saltwater under my belt so having to ID hybrids and juvenile fish is driving me up a wall. Anyway I am trying to get some help with a few of my purchases. Most were not these colors at the local fish store ( very blah colors but you could see the potential) so I can only hope they keep the colors coming. I think I have an idea on a few but just checking to have other opinions.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
1. Yellow Labidochromis

The others are Aulonocara "stuartgranti" group, unnatural "Red Peacocks", quality varies very widely, and fish can be quite different, maybe the yellowish one is more like "Stuartgranti Maleri". Unfortunately these fish are very hard to know what they are exactly, other than vague mass market bred Aulonocara. They are also sometimes hormoned for temporary exaggerated color, which makes them look weird, then the color wears off and they look dark brown.
Fourth fish looks nice, fifth looks odd but might be interestingly colorful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Yellow Labidochromis

It has the color and dorsal fin but has the vertical strips of a peacock. Hybrid of a bumblebee and lab maybe as it doesn't have the shape of my other labs.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Deyoe1118 said:
1. Yellow Labidochromis

It has the color and dorsal fin but has the vertical strips of a peacock. Hybrid of a bumblebee and lab maybe as it doesn't have the shape of my other labs.
There are a LOT of poor quality Yellow Labs out there. They can have faint vertical barring, depending on mood, but that fish isn't great looking. Yellow Lab X Red Zebra hybrids are very common, and it can be hard to tell if fish are pure. As long as they are yellow or kinda orange they will sell, so the mass market breeders do not really care if they are pure. Hundreds of Malawi cichlids have some variation of vertical barring. Unfortunately the quality of Malawi cichlids has gotten very poor in recent years, since Petsmart/Petco/ internet have killed off a lot of local fish stores.

·
Registered
690 Posts
That 4th one has a lot of color for it's size (juvenile). Did you get them from a reputable place / breeder? I would think he's been given hormones to color up that much at that size.

Most peacocks / haps don't start to color up until around 2 1/2-3".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought them from a local pet store. Like I said they didn't look like this when I bought them, really drab colors. These are my first cichlids and I understand they may not be if the highest quality but I needed to start somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts