Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fish are like humans, they get itchy too right?

In the last week I have noticed my accei scratch itself 2 times in the whole week and also my livingstoni scratch himself 1 time.

Should I be on the watch for ick? I don't see any spots, no stringy white poop or anything that would worry me except the scratching....

ph 8.0
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 20ppm
temp is 78

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yeah that is fairly normal for them to flash once in a while like that. Marking territories and what not. If you start to see it on a regular basis then I would be concerned.

Not a bad idea to keep an eye out for it anyhow just in case, but I wouldnt be losing any sleep over 2 fish flashing 3 times total in a weeks time.

Shine a bright flashlight on them as that usually makes ich alot easier to see if it is present.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah okay thanks sir, seriously love this site and its well knowledge members.

Thanks benjamin ill try the flash light thing and get back to you soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought an aquarium with all the extras last night, it's a used tank. While going through the buckets of extras I noticed 2 different ick treatments. Now I'm concerned!!! I sure don't want to introduce ick to my fishies!!! He said the tank had been empty since prolly before Christmas.

So my questions are:
1. how long can ick live without being in water?
2. is it safe to use the tank, hood, deco, rocks (which are still a little damp)
3. would a bleach cleaning kill what might be left over?

Thanks for any help ya'll can give me!!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yes you can clean with bleach. After cleaning rinse very well and let it completely dry in the sun. Then soak everything in water treAted with declorinater . Then let dry in the sun again. If you are cleaning rocks or anything porous make sure you rinse well and use a double maybe even triple dose of declorinater. Then let itdry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts