Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stocked a 125 gallon tank over the past couple of weeks. I used an established eheim 2217 (years old that was servicing a 75G that had 5 of the fish in the new tank), and added a new 2217 today. I picked up fish from a number of breeders and a coupld of stores. In all I think I have 26 cichlids and 5 syno multi's.

I've noticed a couple of fish not as active, but chalked it up to them being younger and shy.

Today, over half the cichlids are hovering towards the top of the tank at either end. A few of the peacocks are "resting" on rock ledges, or on the sand under cover. My Ngara looks roughed up but has no torn fins, instead I think maybe Ick. He does have some small white spots, and a couple of other fish have a couple of white spots. I can't get any good pictures.

My question is first does this sound like ick, and second is there any downside to the salt and heat (85 degrees plus) method of treating ick?

So if I add 2 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons and raise the heat to 86 degrees as a preemptive measure, is there any downside or risk to my fish? I already bought the aquarium salt. Also I've read several people adding the aquarium salt in small doses, but don't see that recommended in the Ick article on this site - is it necessary?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'm far from being an expert but I know that if you're raising the temperature, you want to ensure you make sure the oxygen levels don't drop. You can help prevent this by angling a powerhead to the water surface to increase agitation.

If you haven't already done so, you should read this for more info on ick:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, it's pretty clearly ich at this point.

I raised the temp to approx 85 degrees last night and put in 2 tablespoons salt per 5 gallons. After seeing the ngara after work today, I bumped the temp up 2 degrees, and added a little more salt. so I should be at 87 degrees and 1 tablespoon salt per 2 gallons.

Can anyone comment if I would increase my chances of cure if I bump the salt higher, say 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons?

I have my powerhead pointed at the surface with the venture attached for good measure, my output from one of the canister filters is disrupting the surface, and I found and hooked up an airpump with a 10 inch airstone, so hopefully oxygen won't be an issue

The ngara also has a slightly cloudy eye, and his fins appear a tattered at the ends in addition to the presence of salt-like white bumps on his sides and head. Are the cloudy eye and fin issues related to ich, or do I have multiple problems?

a couple other fish have some white spots, but none of the other issues of the ngara other than looking lethargic.

any advice or info would be appreciated, I've never dealt with ich before.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea how this is progressing so rapidly, yesterday I wasn't sure it was ich, now I doubt the Ngara will recover. It's appears to have a rupture on its back with a small trail of tissue. It's eye is cloudier than a couple hours ago. Overall it just looks very sick.

I'm wondering if I should put him down to prevent infecting other fish, but I see smaller indications of ich (white spots) on a few other fish, and several other lethergic fish, so I suppose the tank is already infected.

Bumped the salt to 3 tblspns per 5 gallons, but wondering if its having a negative affect on the ngara.

Anyway, not many responses here, but maybe eventually someone can give me some advice.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
My first thoughts would be that you are most likely dealing with several diseases at once. Ich will be the most easily recognized. For starters, you need to verify that the tank water is in the best shape possible. It seems the best defense is to give them good clean water and they can sometimes fight off disease. It will be vital to test the water for PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I suspect that you may have bought some ich and possibly other problems but also the tank may not have been ready for more fish. I'm guessing of course, but I think you may find you have ammonia and nitrites that are making it really hard for the fish to fight off diseases, like ich. Getting the water right, as in no ammonia and nitrite and under 20PPM nitrate will be step one but at the same time treating with salt and heat to keep the ich from reaching a killing point. You have a very difficult situation and it may not work out to avoid losing some of the fish but good water and fighting ich ASAP is critical. After that there may be a number of different diseases that show up in the wounds made by the ich. Tough situation but I wish you well in your struggle.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The water was a little off but is getting better.
.25 ppm ammonia, .75 ppm nitrite, 10 ppm nitrate

3 fish have dies now, with another looking pretty bad, I'm guessing dead by morning

it looks all of a sudden like his skin is coming off, and fuzzy **** on it, the last one that dies looked the same

Is this what late stage ich looks like, or is this something else? There are definite white sopts on the sick fish.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
This sounds like something in addition to ich. Whether it's fungal or bacterial is hard to say. I might begin treating with Maracyin 1 and 2 and continue with the salt treatment. The problem with medicating with a high temperature, is the level of oxygen in the water will go down, you really need to have some good surface disruption via spray bar and/or multiple aerators and/or powerhead angled upwards. I'm a little out of my depth as far as diagnosing the illness(es).
Any chance of some pictures?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Definitely ich there, whether or not there's an additional illness, I'm still not sure. What looks like whitish/gray growths on the sides could just be excess slime being produced as a natural response to ich.
At the rate you're losing fish, I think I would go ahead and treat with Maracyn I&II to cover both fungal and bacterial. If you do treat, perform a 30% water change and vacuum the gravel, replace with water of the same high temp and salt content, be sure to keep up with the surface disruption. If you can, remove some bio media to keep in another tank(only if there's nothing living in it), just in case treating wipes out your beneficial bacteria (it shouldn't). Leave the lights off. Test water parameters daily.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For anyone who is looking to treat Ich that might happen upon this post...

The day after my last post, things started to look a little better so I did not add any medical treatments - just left the salt and high temp - which is still 88.

At this point the Dragonblood in the pictures is ich free, and none of the other fish in the tank seem to have it either. The Dragonblood now has a bad eye, which I doubt is going to get better, but now appears in good health otherwise and has regained his appetite.

This is day 10 so it looks like things are going consistent with the article on ich on this site.

I intend to do a 1/3 water change this weekend, and replace the salt for another week. I'll start decreasing the temp a couple degrees per day early next week if all goes well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts