Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Blood Parrot Cichlid in a 36Gal tank with a few other fish (Juvenile African Cichlids). My BPC's upper lip is all swollen and very pale, practically white, and has some white spots that look like bubbles on her scales. She is hovered at the top of the tank and will float in a vertical position facing the floor. These symptoms were observed today for the first time, so this would be day 1 of me noticing the illness.

One of my africans would pick at her somewhat (Im indicating that means she is the ill fish in the tank). I've purchased some Ick treatment at my LPS, Tetra Lifeguard ALL-IN-ONE-TREATMENT, and I'm a bit apprehensive to using it due to not seeing any reviews on the product. However on the box it says "Extremely Effective".

Now I have not tested the water yet, because it is due for a water change (about 2 days past due) and I do water changes vigorously, at least 25% once every week and a half.

Im going to go with my gut, and say its Ick or some illness. Im just tired of seeing all of these "guru's" ask 21 questions for a simple answer.

1. Should I try the Aquarium salt treatment first?
2. Has anyone used the Tetra Lifeguard product? And how well was your turn around?
3. Is a UV Sterilizer the basic standard lamp for the tank? Or is it just a separate filter?

Please help! I do not want my africans to get sick as well, and I do not have a quaratine tank to put them in. NEED TO ACT QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS:
Tank has been cycled already, have had it for about 6 months now.

AND
4. Should I raise the temp to at least 84F degrees?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Ick should look like the fish has salt sprinkled on it. From your description, it doesn't sound like Ick. If possible, upload a picture here and paste the 'Message Board' link in your reply.
Also, here is the Ick article from the health library.
For right now, I would perform a 25% water change immediately using a good quality dechlorinator and note any improvement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts