Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, certainly looks like it. If you're going to treat with medication there's no need to increase the temperature. Higher temps equal lower oxygen levels so you should account for that with more surface agitation, either by lowering the water level for filter outputs to break the surface or directing a powerhead or wave maker towards the surface or by adding an airstone. But you usually use either medication or the salt plus heat method. In either instance it's always a good idea to increase oxygenation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! I decided to keep the temps at 78 and put in some medication. I took my snails out just in case, since most medications are harmful to them. How long after the medication period should I wait to put my snails back in?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Which medication are you using? Follow the directions on the bottle. Once you're done I would do a good water change and add carbon to take out any medication left. 24 hours after adding the carbon it should be safe to add your snails back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I'm using the tetra ick guard, I only used about a fourth of the dosage amount since I researched on it and that's what most people found worked best for them. Im doing a 4 day process with a 25% water change between each dose.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't have any experience with that product but I usually just follow the manufacturer's directions. If you ever see that the medication is stressing your fish out too much just do a large water change and add carbon. I have never had any issues using Kordon Rid Ich+ at full strength even with catfish and clown loaches and the product works great. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts