Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.....bad news. I just went to feed the fish and the mated pair Of yellow peacocks in the 40 were both dead. I had salted and raised the temp yesterday. It was at 84.4. There are three juvies still in there from the last batch but I lowered the water to about 20 gallon, ich x treated and added a handful of salt. I am boiling the rocks that were in there as well. I will raise the heat some more and wait a week before setting the tank back up.

The 210 is at about 83 and I had added salt yesterday and some more today. No big signs of ich but there is more flashing than I would like. I will raise it to about 85 today. They don't look that great today, some are pale in color.

That is a loss of four fish in the last week, bummer. Not due to aggression as the pairs were both in separate tanks. The male peacock was covered in white specks about three days ago and I had started treating right away with Ich X. Other than water changes can't think of what brought it on.

How high can I safely raise the temperature and for how long?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My heater only goes to 85, is that hot enough to kill off the ich? Should I stir the gravel up as I do water changes during the next week?

·
Super Moderator
40,526 Posts
You don't want to do both a medication (I assume ich X is a medication) and salt/heat. It is either or.

·
Super Moderator
40,526 Posts
Are you using a medication?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was until today when I ran out. You stated not to do both so I will just do high heat and salt

·
Super Moderator
40,526 Posts
85 degrees and 2-3 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons should work. I would not go higher.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am continuing to lose fish. Lost them out of three tanks. Today I lost the first from my show tank, the 210. Temp has been up to 85-87 and the salt has been in for three days now. What I am consistently seeing is that they seem to decay rapidly overnight...the eyes are bulged, red patches all over, kind of a scummy look and the fins are partially missing. All this from a fish that was looking okay the previous day. I did not take pics but will if I lose another one. I will retest the water tomorrow morning as well.

·
Super Moderator
40,526 Posts
That does not sound like ich. Can you post a pic? Maybe someone will recognize what you are seeing.

The patches caught my attention. Are they fuzzy at all? Fairly large compared to fish size and start symmetrical on the sides near the gills?

Google columnaris and see if it looks like your sick fish.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read the article, thanks. Don't know if it looks like this...maybe....problem is that the fish look normal the day before so I would think it could not progress that much so very fast. I would describe it as death due to extreme aggression and then decay of several days to a week. Hopefully I don't lose any more but if I do I will definitely post a picture. Should the salt and elevated heat work, do I need to remove and cleanse the rocks in the tank before cleaning the gravel and doing the big water change. I am scheduled to clean the tank next week, so I could start removing the rocks and cleaning them daily. I already removed all of the driftwood. I understand that any remaining ich die after they are in the open air for a bit. I read vairious lengths of time for the heat/salt treatment for five days to 10 days. I have the heat up fairly high. Would you back it down to 85 after four days?

·
Super Moderator
40,526 Posts
I would not have raised it higher...they say three days after all spots are gone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: I have lost 11 fish to date. That includes one catfish, two mated pairs of Malawi cichlids, one young adult and five juvies.

I am sitting with one empty tank (10 gallon) which I have heavily salted. I am going to let this sit for a month before adding any fish. A 40 breeder which I am using standard salt and heat treatment. It contains one juvie and a 7 inch pleco. A 10 gallon with a female that is holding and three juvies. This tank is not treated. My 210 tank which is fully stocked is being treated with heat and salt. I did a partial water change yesterday, kept the heat up and replaced the salt.

I don't see any more signs of ich, but I will be patient and keep an eye out. Thanks all for your support.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe spoke too soon, found a half eaten/decomposed fish in the 210. Too far gone to know what it was. I am going to start slowly backing the heat down over the next few days. I will keep the heat at 86 for the next few weeks and not replace salt when I do water changes. Testing water parameters today as well. Going to start work on the outdoor pond today. Still too cold to fully open but I need to do some stream work and general cleanup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.