Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 55 gallon tanks got completely wiped out by an extremely aggressive bout of ich. I lost my Green Texas, 8 tiger barbs, a Raphael cat and a ABN plec. I'm familiar with the life cycle of ich and have always treated it successfully before. But this bout seemed particularly tough. Needless to say I'm pretty bummed. Anyway, I want to make sure that the parasite is completely gone before I put anymore fish in this tank. The last fish passed this last Tuesday. The tank is still running, temp is at 80F and I've been adding a pinch of food every day to keep the cycle going. I continued with the Quick Cure after the tank was empty of fish but I just ran out. I did a 30% water change yesterday.
I'm debating whether I should:

1) Buy more Quick Cure and continue with that
2) Raise temp to 90F or so and just use heat plus no fish for a week or two to eradicate the pest
3) Raise temp and add salt
4) Do nothing...having no fish in there the parasite should die out in a week or so

Just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys would do.
Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
First, I would stop feeding the tank. The bacteria you are trying to keep alive don't eat fish food- but there are plenty of molds and fungi that would love to grow on uneaten food.

Next- stop medicating. Without any fish to worry about, there are cheaper ways to get rid of residual ich. Start with a series of large water changes (75%) with vacuuming the substrate each time. Stir it up, get all the gunk out while the tank is fishless. If you want, you can refill with hot water, and add 1 cup of salt (Kosher, aquarium salt or table salt, etc) each time.

It sounds like you have more than one tank- so don't worry about the cycle- you can reseed your filter from a healthy tank when it's time to restock.

I recommend waiting at least two weeks to allow the different life stages of ich that are present to die off. For the last two large water changes, don't add salt, and readjust the temperature to a fish-appropriate range.

On the day before you pick up new fish, transfer some filter media from an established tank into the filter on the 55. Do not feed new fish for at least 24 hours and then very little the next few days (only what they eat in 30 seconds or so). Also, keep the lights off for a couple days while they settle in.

The most effective preventative for ich is minimizing acclimation stress. So, starting with a clean tank, a seeded filter, appropriate water chemistry and temperature- you should be good to go in a few weeks.

good luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. :)
I forgot to add, I do have a few plants in the tank...Anubias and Java Ferns. Will they be ok with the salt?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
hmmm... I only grow algae, but I think I remember a plant expert saying that salt was not an option for planted tanks. I'm also thinking you'll have to watch the temps too- adding just hot water will likely wilt your plants, so maybe keep it under 85 degrees for the 2 weeks.

Ich should die without a host, and with water changes and temperature elevation, you should be good to go after two weeks even without the salt.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I think I'll just do some large water changes and let the tank sit empty for a couple weeks. I can reseed it from one of my other tanks. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello. i noticed triscuit gave you advice about how to cure the ich.
I had Ich kill 7 of my fish " not cichlids " ,the ich im pretty sure came from a fish i bought and it ended up spreading through the whole tank, so i went to my local store and talked to the pro their and he gave me "API Liquid SUPER ICK CURE'' and i did exactly as directed on the back.
After 4 days i added fish and it seemed fine. That was my experience with ich.
Hope all goes well with you .

DonnieS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts