Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 20 Gallon tall tank with 3 cockatoo dwarf cichlids, 4 gouramis, 3 bloodfins, 2 panda corys, and 5 black phantom tetras. Yesterday I noticed rather suddenly my black phantom tetra's had white spots on them. I identified it as what I believe Ich, and started doing heat treatment. I raised the temperature of the tank to 82 slowly and will keep raising it. I gave the phantom tetras a salt dip of 5 mins.
But today all the phantoms were hardly swimming and mostly floating around. Three phantoms died and 2 are left but not doing well and I placed them in a separate tank.
What I am concerned is about the rest of the inhabitants of the tank which are showing no signs of the disease but I am afraid they could get infected. I am especially concerned for my cockatoos since I know they are prone to Ich. How effective is heat treatment to kill any possible ich parasites that could be in the water? I plan on raising the temperature to 86 today and keeping it there for 10 days. I already added an air stone for extra air and put a digital thermometer to very accurately read temperatures. And plan to do daily or every other day 25% water changes.
Will heat treatment of 86 degrees effectively kill any Ich parasites that are possibly in the water?
Even though the infected fish are not in the tank any more I should still do the heat treatment to treat the whole tank correct?

Also how easily is Ich transported to other tanks? Because I have other tanks and would not want it to spread to them. So I have been using separate things for the 20 gallon tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,864 Posts
Did you read the article in the C-F Library Here?

Usually a combination of heat AND salt in the tank works rather than just doing fish salt dips as Ich fall off the fish into the aquarium during their life cycle.

Whatever method you choose from the library article, pay special attention to directions on any medication you use.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the link, no I did not see that post. But I did research using books and other sites.
I have raised the temperature to 85-86ish and plan to keep it there for 10 days.
I prefer not to put salt in because I have Corydoras in the tank and know they are very sensitive to salt.

Hopefully the heat treatment will kill off all the parasites that might be in the water.

Thanks so much for the information!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.