Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the Acei I bought from Petsmart and Quarantined has some unusual coloration on it's back and tail area. At first I thought it was just not the nicest looking fish, but now I'm thinking there is more to it. With the camera flash it shows some white in the discolored area.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The quarantine tank is 10G - Quarantine for 3 small Acei approx 2" or smaller
Water Parameters 0,0,10 ph 8.2 -- 10G tank was just bleached out prior to adding the fish and cycled using a sponge filter from my main tank.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking this isn't ich or velvet, because they're not flashing at all. Today I noticed a new white thing attached to the side of the body of another acei, and it's much larger than ich. Activity and appetites are still totally normal.

I separated the fish and started Melafix on Sunday, originally thinking it was an injury. So far I'm four days into Melafix, and started API General Cure today because the Melafix hasn't done much. I'll go the full 7 days with the Melafix anyways.

I'm really glad i decided to quarantine these. Any comments or insight would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
I didn't see anything really wrong with your pic but if you are seeing something new on another fish, try to get a good pic of it if you can.

Can you better describe the new white thing you are seeing? Is it flat like a scale out of place or is it more thread like or worm like?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's really hard to get a good picture, but It looks like a flat white thing sticking out perpendicular to the body of the fish. Approx 1-2mm

Thankfully the other problem I had seems to be clearing up now.

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
I don't think it is an anchor worm, possibly a round worm but I'm not really positive. Maybe someone else with more experience can offer some good advice. I would hate to recommend how to treat this without a positive identification.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finished the treatments and all the fish are looking good now. Thanks for your help Deeda

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
You are welcome and glad to hear the fish are doing better. I am very curious though what the original issue was but as long as they are OK, that's the best we can hope for at this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts