Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo-ith,

After moving 30something baby convicts into my 75 gallon, I noticed just this morning that momma has a small white patch of "dead looking" scales on her left back-half area. It does look like it might have been a damaged area from bumping/rubbing or a parental squabble. I do not see any spots on her fins yet. I still have another 30 babies plus both parents still in my "hold" tank. Should I treat the entire tank for ich/ick, youngin included?

Actually, after going to take this picture; I noticed a similar patch on the other side of her as well.

[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you treat for ick use heat and salt method. Picture is blurry can't really see the spot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
85 F
1 teaspoon of NON-iodized salt/10 gallons?
Increase oxygen via air stone/powerhead

How long should I let these buggers poach? A week?

Heres a MUCH better picture. Shot includes momma, and a few fry.
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

·
Registered
308 Posts
That doesn't look like ich at all looks more like a bite mark or something else. Ich looks like little white speckles of sand. IMO

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah melafix is great for this purpose but I don't know the affects to fry.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
It should heal on it's own provided the water is clean and low in nitrates.
As with any abrasion or cut, watch for redness, swelling or white/gray growth.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres what I have already done.

I've added non iodized salt to the tank (7 teaspoons, in case it is ich). Tank is a 75 gallon.
I've raised the temp of the tank to 75-76 degrees (was at 70-71 before).
Opened up my air intake on my powerhead.
Added some "stress-zyme" to aid in the replacement of the stress coat.
I have been doing three smaller meals during the day to help with the fry always having a full belly.
Currently the male is still in the 20 gallon tank, with about...30 fry. Using them as my 'test' group atm. I will take proper care of that tank as well should the same type of markings appear.
The only water parameter out of wack was my water hardness; it is REALLY hard water in my area.
I also looked for this "malafix" stuff at the LFS, is it known as a different name?

Completly off side note:
The FRY are really interested in my two plecos! Keep swimming up and nipping at their tails, he just flips em away and scurries off to another area of the tank. Just to have the curious fry in tow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've noticed the patch getting smaller in size! Not sure if the male was beating her up or what.
I moved a few more fry into the 75 gallon (also getting a second Emperor 400 this tuesday), leaving roughly 20 + papa in the 20 gallon tank. I'm going to let it get 99% healed before I bring the male into the 75 gallon.
Do I need to be concerned about the female beating up the male once hes introduced? Seeing as she has had the run of the tank for a few weeks by then?
Also, going to be putting in a few 45 degree 4" PVC pipe fittings as caves for a few extra hiding spots (rough up the outside with sandpaper, coat with silicone & cover with gravel).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EEP!

Anyone else ever accidently suck up a fry while gravel vac-ing? I was able to save him before he hit the faucet attachment! It was pretty funny seeing him in the clear tube like "WTF is this!?"
turned the faucet unit to FILL and SPOOSH he went back in!

Me thinks he'll think again before investigating that strange plastic pipe that comes in the tank twice a week. :lol:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lol I think I've did that once or twice u would think their little butts could swim fast enough to get out or they would be a little to skiddish to go near anything that their parents would attack or stay away from. I think its kinda of like Finding Nemo where all the little fish are trying to get him to touch the boat but instead of a boat its a siphon hose lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
Awesome convict Amishdude! My male convict has a very similar white mark on both sides. I thought it was ick, but I treated for about a week, and he was never showing any erratic behavior. It can't be a bite mark, as no other fish in my tank is capable of biting him.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've narrowed it down to a few things that it could be:
1) Getting roughed up from papa
2) Somehow getting between the heater tube and the side of the tank, resulting in a burn
3) Scratching one of the two plants (one is a rigid plant, the leaves dont move easily) or hitting the intake tube in an attempt to get away from papa
4) Some funky digging accident, even though papa doesnt have marks on him
5) Stress from ALL the **** kids!

Not really sure which one it is, but its getting much better!
Thank you all for taking a peak and letting me know what you thought ( or didnt think ) it was.
Thanks on the con look. Ill probally have the parents together here come next week.
I'm going to post something in the trade area as well, but is anyone near the NW suburbs of Chicago and looking for a few convict fry?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Elijah said:
It can't be a bite mark, as no other fish in my tank is capable of biting him.
What's in the tank if its what ur signature than I'm sure the other con could have did it easily even if its smaller it could swim up and bite him really fast and swim away

·
Registered
532 Posts
cichlid_kid96 said:
What's in the tank if its what ur signature than I'm sure the other con could have did it easily even if its smaller it could swim up and bite him really fast and swim away
You're right, but the thing is that my convict has had that blotch for a few weeks, way before I got the female con.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts