Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a 180 Gal tank which had ich. I have been treating the tank with Rid-Ich,all other fish in tank have recovered and are eating well. My 7" Argentea still seems to be having trouble. He is not eating and is still breathing heavy. Have been treating the tank for almost 3 weeks,also have added salt to tank. I have been doing 30% water changes every day,PH is also fine any help would be a blessing Thank you John

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hi John,

you've been treating the tank with Rid-ich for three weeks?

How long ago did you notice the last white spec on any of your fish?

How long has this fish not been eating? There may be something else going on beside ick, which hopefully is gone. I would first of all test your water parameters and then remove this one fish to a hospital tank. Watch him for any change in behavior for 12-24 hours and then post back with more information.

Robin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Robin thanks for the reply. Ammonia 0.5ppm Nitrates 10ppm Nitrite 0,5ppm Ph 7.4 I tried using Garlic Guard with no luck. He has not been eating for almost 2 weeks ,I'm running out of time.There is a smaller Argentea in the same tank which is fine. I have an empty 65 gallon which I could place him in, but then what? There is still a small amount of white stringy feces in the tank which I beleive is from the sick Argentea. Thanks

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
It may be that this fish has bloat. I'd try treating him with Jungle Parasite Clear. Best to treat him in isolation however if it is bloat then you'll want to also treat the rest of your fish. Do a 50% water change on the tank with a good quality declorinator, run fresh carbon in the filter for several hours, remove the carbon then try feeding them metronidazole soaked food.

If you don't want/can't do the met-food route then you can use the JPC on all the fish. Just make sure you do the water change and fresh carbon before you do.

Robin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Robin, I spoke to a well known fish expert today and he told me just about the same exact thing you said. I started treating him for Bloat in my 20 gallon hosp tank. I figure I have a 40/60 chance being I waited so long.Thanks again for your help,I should have came to this forum sooner maybe my chances of saving the fish would have been greater.

John

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I should have came to this forum sooner maybe my chances of saving the fish would have been greater.
When you're treating one thing, in this case, Ich, it can be hard to see that something else has developed. Unfortunately this is how it often goes. The fish's immune system becomes impaired by one illness leaving them open to other illnesses.

Hope your fish makes it. Let us know how it goes.

Robin

Fit in as many partial water changes as you reasonably can working around the medication.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Robin, Argentea is looking much better,she's more active and no more stringy whiye feces but she still won't eat. I tried garlic guard with no luck. Is there anything else I can try.

Thanks John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts