Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A devastating ice storm hit our portion of Virginia and we lost power for over 3 days. Sadly, I lost 3 tanks of fish due to the extended outage.

I`ve removed the dead Cichlids and cleaned all the tanks. It may be days, possibly weeks , before I can purchase new fish and re-establish my tanks.

What do I need to do to the tanks that are setting empty of fish. Will they maintain proper parameters being fishless? Didn`t know if there is something else I should do in the meantime to keep the tanks in condition to add fish? Fyi, these are lng established tanks with excellent filtration

One is a 150 gallon
One is a 75 G
One is a 30 g

Thanks to all who reply

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd bring them back up to temp, keep them running and check the parameters in a few days. If they are still good I'd continue to check them every few days to see how things are holding up. Should be good for some time just with the material in the water. Having said that I'm going by what I've experienced after similar power outage durations but without fish loss. Similar but not the same I know.

Regards,
Stu

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. :(
Heard there was some pretty intense weather out further west. But, didn't realize that area got hit so hard....
Adapting this site 'Fish Less Cycling' info may help to keep the bacteria established in your aquarium filtration media, until you can get fish stocked back in again.

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ ... _cycle.php

Dosing with very small amounts of ammonia to the tank, will help to replicate the bio-load of the now missing fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts