Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Good to be cautious but for future there are a couple points I might make. The chlorine in bleach is a liquid so it dilutes right away without stirring, etc. It reacts with anything organic it meets and part of it is gone that way. The reason it smells so strong coming out of the bottle is the chlorine becomes a gas and blows away. What that second part means is that it will blow away as soon as it is left out in the air. Soak to clean, rinse to dilute any left, and when it airs out, the chlorine is gone. If you can't smell it, there is a good chance there is more in your drinking water than on the rocks. I assume you are going to put that much rock in a new setup and you will be using a dechlor product (Prime,etc.) with the new water? Say there was some chlorine left on the rock. The dechlor takes care of it just like what comes with the tank water. No problem!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would guess Odessa way out of the holey rock area, but then which direction are you coming from? Odds are not good of finding it driving down the road. Georgetown Lake is a spot where some can be found but it gets picked over pretty quick if it is accessible and of any value.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I am no expert on Texas by a long shot. Much of it , I have only driven through but for holey rock I think of it as a fairly isolated area where it is found exposed. The guys from the Dallas area might correct my thinking but I think of finding holey rock between Waco and San Antonio on the west side of I-35. I- 35 is built along the East side of an uplift that exposed the rocks. Feel free to correct me if this is not accurate.

I rarely see it as I drive but find it when I'm out trekking here and there. Much of what I see driving is built into somebody's fence or rock wall! :roll:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I shouldn't tell but my picking spot is Lake Georgetown. A bit closer to I35 than the bigger lakes farther West. Choosing a dry time when the lakes are really low makes for a lot more area to look over along the shore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.