Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gallon tank with a 12" oscar in it and I have a 75 gallon with 8 mbuna and 2 peacocks and I was wondering how good of an idea would it be to switch it so the African cichlids were in the 55 and the oscar was in the 75? I think my oscar would be much happier in the larger tank and the length of the two tanks are identical, so the Africans would do well in the 55. Thoughts?

Forgot to mention the substrate in the 75 is pool filter sand.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes, I think switching your tanks would be best. The extra 6" of width would be great for your oscar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I made the switch, though not without some lumps given out. My oscar gave him self a beating in the move. I'm definitely not making the switch back, way to stressful for me and the fish (mostly broken but not beaten Bubba). Hopefully there will be not repercussions from his wounds and he'll like the extra space (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
When did he get hurt? When you were trying to net him?

Also what type of cichlids are in your 55g?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had 3, 1' pacus in my 75 before they got rehomed. When taking them out, one cut himself good on some rocks, one jumped out and sustained about a 5' fall onto carpet, and one kept jumping out of his bucket during the 30 minute car ride causing me to pull over every 5 minutes. They all survived the transition and are all completely healed, happy, and stress free.

Fish can be pretty tough! I'm pretty sure your oscar will make it and be even happier and healthier in his new wider home.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would leave the ten fish in the larger tank. the Oscar is by himself and the 55 is okay for him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too late! I'm not going back to the other way, at least not anytime soon. Besides, he's my favorite and I like to see him as my center piece as the 55 sits in the corner and the 75 is in proper view. The Africans have seemed to settle in their new home, but the oscar seems a bit apprehensive, probably due to the bump on the noggin he took on the way out of the 55.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts