Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just started a new 55 gallon tank about 3 weeks ago. Fish in it maybe two weeks. I have river rocks and sand in the tank. Both were well sterilized before adding to the tank. I added three cichlids they had all been fine. The temp has been a pretty steady 80°. with a pH of 8.5. Today I found my Sunrise Peacock dead in the rocks. As I dug her out I noticed a tiny millimeter tall fuzzy growing on all the rocks. I'm guess her death was coincidence not algae related. The fish look clean as does the glass. I can only describe the fuzz as translucent to white and it looks just like a "dandelion fluff" or seed. It is attached to the rock by 1 tiny strand and then spreads out at the tip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

close up example Loading...

the algae to the right of the fish's eye on the rock Loading...

on the rocks in the foreground in front of the fish

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum! Hope we can help! What species are your remaining cichlids?

Deaths are never a coincidence.

If the growth is not an organism, you may have toxins in your tank that are dangerous to your fish. Algae is not white. To diagnose, post your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. How did you cycle your tank?

There is an organism that looks like your description...hydra. I've never seen them all over the rocks or that tiny, but not sure I have ever had them in my tanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts