Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever had a fish cross breed?
Yes3966.10%
No2033.90%

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Before anyone gets worked up about hybrids and how they will ruin the hobby or should never be allowed to live, let me fill you in on my intent with this post.

I am not interested in breeding hybrids of anykind, I am just curious of experiences of two species put together that DID breed by accident or due to lack of owner knowledge (didn't think they would mate).

I am sure most are not pretty, but I read about the subject of cross breeding all the time but I haven't SEEN any, so my curious nature just wants to see some hybrid cichlid pictures.

If you happen to have a hybrid cichlid picture or had a hybrid you let grow up and still own, please if you would post a few pics and what the parents were that cross bred.

It will not only be interesting but also informative to some like myself that aren't sure what breeds will "try" to cross breed.

Hopefully others out there are just curious to see what happens when fish crossbreed like myself.

Bill

·
Registered
435 Posts
I like my Hybrids. I only have them due to not knowing cichlids well when I fist got into cichlids but I don't regret it. I think they have added to the personality of the tank. I don't think I will be rushing down to the LFS to find more though.

Heres a couple pics.

This is a cross of a Gold Peacock with a Fryeri

This is a German Red crossed with unknown.

Both have very different personalities. The first is very aggressive and the second is pretty passive.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Here is a red zebra possibly yellow lab hybrid that I unintentionally bought at a fish store.

I got rid of him last week. What a nightmare, he was absolutely vicious, he beat up my bumblebee even. Beautiful, but vicious.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I would think the unidentified cichlid forum would have plenty of pics of hybrids, that is where I've seen the mods refer people who want a lesson in the consequences of hybrids.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello everyone well this is my dolphin/electra he was sold to me as pure dolphin but after posting on forums i found out other wise but i wont get rid of him as hes to pretty

·
Registered
99 Posts
Never had any African Cichlid hybrids, just the random SA/CA Cichlid hybrids, which usually involves a Convict. I wish I had the pics still, but it was a long time ago. I had a male Texas breed with a female black Convict. The babies looked exactly how you think they would look, a striped Texas or a spotted Convict.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Only had one hybrid. This is my Labidochromis perlmutt and Pseudotropheus saulosi hybrid. The fry either started out looking like perlmutts or like saulosi. The perlmutt look alikes would stay pretty much the same their entire life. The ones that looks like saulosi would turn into this. I did keep a male and a female and they looked the same. They were able to breed and I did keep a group of fry from them until they hit about 1" and then I culled them. Nemo, he was a stunning cichlid.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies, interesting thread to see and hear about...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here is the collection pictures of the fishes that I kept

Red Peacock

Red Peacock

Gold Peacock

Albino Eureka

Ruby Red

Turisk Peacock

German Red

Enjoy

·
Registered
719 Posts
i had a red zebra and a crabo breed... i don't know if that is common. they might have been hybrids to begin with. i bought them at a local pet store. said misc. cichlids. so i assume now that they were hybrids. i only kept 2 of the 10 fry, and now they are only 2 of 3 fish + a pleco in the tank. they are mean as heck and they are destoying my tank. they killed the mom and dad, and about 4 other fish. i am looking at restocking my tank soon. now the dominant hybrid is picking on the other sibling. i have had these guys for probably 2-3 years. they are about 6in. long i would guess.

father:

mother with 2 fry:

fry tank:

and the mean guy:

nice post by the way. would think this would be helpful to some. like i said earlier, i don't know if these 2 are normal breeders, i am just now getting into cichlids more.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Venustus - Just out of curiosity, were there any female crabros or male estherae in the tank? Was the m. Estherae the variant with blue males?

·
Registered
719 Posts
i had 1 crabo, so must have been male, and 1 red zebra, which had to have been the female, due to the fact that the babies came out of her. :) i pretty much had a community tank. just only had 1 of each of those guys.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here is a pic of a hybrid that was sold to me as a yellow lab. He is currently in a tropical community tank with some dwarf gouramis and blackskirt tetras. He is very passive and quite entertaining and really livens up the tank.

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee17 ... C00893.jpg

·
Registered
619 Posts
Here is my albino strawberry peacocks. I like that my females are melon/hot pink colored instead of the normal drab female peacock coloring. I also have a red ob peacock female.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My OB peacock male. He has a gangster look about him so I named him Mugsy! :roll:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.