Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if she will get along with a male. I found a male that is approximatly the same size but I am worried they will just tear each other up. My girl lays eggs fairly often and Id really like to breed her.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was scared mine would rip eachother up to, and sometimes they come close to it, best bet is to have a tank divider! works a treat for me.

sometimes they get along and others one is pushed into a corner and you dont see him untill its safe to come out, so i put in and take out the divider when it is neccesary and they've bred once so far, and trying again at the moment :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Divid the tank with an egg crate divider for about a month. then test the waters, so to speak, by letting them interact without the divider while you watch them. If things heat up too much, put the divider back in.
One word of caution though, if your tank is not at least 6' x 18" I woldn't even try it. I've had RD's in my 125 that would fight even with eggs. by the same token though my buddy has bred them in a 55 at 9-10" each.
Iwould try it but keep them seperate for a while frist.

good luck.

·
Registered
912 Posts
You can also use an egg crate divider, put the only potential spawning rocks near the divider on the female's side, and let them spawn through the divider. This has been known to work a number of times with large fish in relatively small tanks. The male really can "shoot" through the divider sufficient numbers of spermatozoa to fertilize most of the eggs. Just make sure that if there is any flow of water through the divider, it goes from the male's side to the female's side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts