Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 leopard cichlids and 1 jeweled cichlid in a 30 gallon tank. My husband and I wanted to breed the leopard cichlids, but just realized that the jeweled cichlid has stopped eating, gained lots of color in 48 hours and seems to have a full mouth.
Is it possible that the fish cross bred? If so, will the babies live and what will they look like?
We are very new to breeding.. we are new to the hobby of fish all together. What are the next steps we should take?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Jewel cichlids don't hold mouthfuls... they are substrate spawners.

Are you sure you have a jewel? can you post pictures?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a jewel cichlid... definitlly. It no longer has a large chin. (excuse my wording I am new at this and have much to learn) It has gained tons of color, and is hiding all the time still though. Could this be a sign that it is ready to breed? What steps can I take?
Thank you all for the input, I am trying to learn what I can and so many siyes have different info and opinions. Please help.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
AngelHurford said:
I have a jewel cichlid... definitlly. It no longer has a large chin. (excuse my wording I am new at this and have much to learn) It has gained tons of color, and is hiding all the time still though. Could this be a sign that it is ready to breed? What steps can I take?
Thank you all for the input, I am trying to learn what I can and so many siyes have different info and opinions. Please help.
Dominant males (and females though less often) can gain colour, without signs of breeding. This can simply be a dominanc thing, to secure the territory they want to live in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts