Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a short while ago i uploaded a post regarding what i thought was columnaris and now i have some photos of a particularly bad case of something i just discovered in my tank 15 mins ago. if someone could shed some wisdom it would be much appreciated. there is a photo of his tail which has been discoloured by something, if anyone knows what specifically that is.
also sorry for the grainy photos, i had to zoom in heaps. he is not sitting upright and i found him on the bottom of the tank. the fish before had a uys could white lesion which lead me to believe columnaris but if you guys could take a look that would be great :)

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update, as soon as i finished writing this post i went over to see and hes on his back barely breathing so this was very fast progressing unlike the other times my fish have been affected.

·
Administrator
41,526 Posts
I don't see anything that looks like columnaris I have seen...IME it is white...on the sides of the fish and looks a little fuzzy at first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, the first instance of it that i observed was white however this one just looked like a disruption of the scales if that makes sense? like you can see it in the first photo just behind the gills. he was also sitting on the bottom and had damaged fins. *** read that while columnaris does have white lesions, they can often start out/look like "a spot on the fish where it looks less shiny" and due to the acute nature of this particular case, perhaps the lesion didnt have enough time to develop? im just speculating but do these symptoms ring any bells?

on a different note: after losing 4 cichlids @ $35 dollars a pop, im now down 120 dollars. when i got my 8 jalo reef's i ended up only getting 1 female but shes holding (i think lol, she has a bulgy thing under her chin and isnt eating) and i just had an idea to raise them and introduce them to the main tank when big enough to make my 120 dollar loss not such a sore point of conversation lol. any thoughts and any advice on that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah it is a secondary illness to tank aggression i know that. out of the 8 jalo reef mbuna i purchased only 1 was female so go figure lol. female is holding and *** spent the afternoon setting up a second tank to move her to. lets pray we get a few females in this lot of fry haha. water parameters are 0 0 <20 so it isnt water quality related. for the time being i have removed the dominant male cause he was a bit of a prick and since then, the rest of the jalo reef's have been eating normally and acting normally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.