Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a good picture of one that they could post. My pike has the red eyes and other features that are similar to this species ecept for black speckles on this/her face. any suggestions how I can figure out what I have? I am going to try and post a picture on my profile...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ED, love your web page. Thank you very much although I am still confused of what kind my pike is? Is it a bottom feeder? I hope not...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi Suzanne,

Thanks!
Suzanne said:
How did you do that?
I took the link from your post...
http://imgur.com/9xvHj.jpg

Pasted it in the text box, then highlight it and click the "Img" button in the tool bar, which puts brackets on either side of the link...
. Then when you hit preview or submit, the image will be displayed in the post.
Suzanne said:
what kind my pike is? Is it a bottom feeder?
Crenicichla lenticulata I think. Juvenile C. strigata and C. sp. "Venezuela" also look like that, do you have a picture from the side? It's not a bottom feeder. They're "predatory" in nature, and will feed from mid-water and the surface in your tank. It'll get somewhere around 10".

Ed

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would like to see a side view also. It looks to have multiple tail spots extending through the tail fin. Most pics I have seen of lents don't have that, nor does the lent I own. I would also expect it to have a stronger laterel line bar with vertical barring from the laterel bar up to the dorsal. It will be interesting to see what it is.

A pic of my lent for comparison:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
attached hopefully is the side view of my pike......what do you think?

Suzanne

http://imgur.com/3jmjT.jpg

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would say it is a juvenile crenicichla sp. venezuela. Could also be a strigata, but true strigatas are pretty unusual to find in my experience. Nice looking fish. How large is it?

·
Registered
803 Posts
If it is a sp. venezuela, then no. Not a colorful fish, but very fun and interactive fish. I enjoyed the one I had very much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He is looking a little mean in the tank, becoming territorial and chasing other fish. I put a feeder fish in the tank last evening because he had not been eating, and he went crazy and of course ate the fish......Im a little worried that I introduced the wrong fish to my tank which was a happy mixture of lake malawi and a couple south american + 1 logger head turtle. I hope he get more color or I truly made a mistake......he was also expensive ($80). Oh well, live and learn

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
That's a beauty of a vennie ... most don't even come close to being that pretty. Deffinately worth the money amoungst pikie peeps. :thumb:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I need to get rid of my pike strickly because I need to clean up the bad mix in my tank. Anyone in the Bay Area want a pike? He is beautiful and healthy!!!
I think he is about 4 inches or so

1 - 20 of 20 Posts