Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago I bought 2 synos form one of the LFS's in the area. They were advertised as synodontis multipunctatus. While reading more about them I learned that they do better when there's several of them. As a result I went and bought 3 more from another (closer) LFS. Even though they were advertised as multipuntatus, after putting them in the tank with the others, I'm quite sure they're a different kind of syno. They do look a bit different. Here are some pics:

These are of the same one... the other one that looks like it wouldn't sit still! This was one of the first ones I bought...

These are 2 of the second set that I bought.

Can anyone tell me what species these actually are? They all get along fine, I'm just curious more thna anything. I'm not sure of any possible crossbreeding either since I don't know the sex of any of them...

Thanks! :fish:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The first two are likely S. multipunctatus. The spots are kind of irregular for the species but the fish are young and that may change as they mature.

The second two are synodontis multipunctatus x Syno. decorus hybrids. This is a fairly common fish in the trade nowadays and is often misrepresented as S. multipunctatus.

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts