Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know nothing new here, but after weeks of research I need advise.

I want a large part of the media to be submerged and have more of this media wet but not underneath the water level.

Most of the designs i have seen have the output near the bottom of the container but what I want to know is if I made the hole for the output higher on the container (say half way) would this allow for submerged media and would i need a special pump?

My plan is to use a narrow/tall 41qt trash can that would be gravity fed over a few diy trays filled with something and more of something else bla, bla, bla but the emerged part i will use lava rock but I want this to be emerged but I am unsure of if placing the output higher on the container would make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Your design is not really a typical canister filter since it has an open top, it is more similar to a vertical sump or wet/dry unit.

Placing the pump intake at the bottom will allow the lower section with media to remain submerged IF the pump output can be controlled properly to balance the flow.

I think the difficulty will be balancing the incoming water at the top and the outgoing water at the bottom to avoid overfilling the container, draining the container too quickly and having the upper media trickled over and the lower section under water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts