Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Then it's most likely hybrids or unfertilized eggs cichlids will breed with pretty much anything if there aren't sufficient male to female ratios for each species.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say out of 20 fish there is 5 or 6 females. She's hiding in a pot :(
Should I put her in a breeder net and see what happens???

·
Registered
843 Posts
It's up to you what to do, and more importantly, what you want to do with the fry.

I let my mothers spit in a fry tank, but I don't keep the fry. I use them as live feeders for my larger cichlids (safer than buying at a store because I know they don't carry disease). I don't have the room to raise babies, and my Africans (labs and RZs) are likely hybrid candidates. Since I can't be sure of the parents, I don't keep.

You could put in a net, let her spit, and decide then. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I definitely don't plan on selling them (I'm no breeder and never plan to be) so I guess I will just wait and see what happens. I have a few friends that have cichlid tanks (just starting out and I KNOW they don't ever plan on breeding), maybe I will pass some of whatever survives on to them. Either way it's still a wee bit exciting. Been a couple of years since I had baby fish in the house :D

·
Registered
843 Posts
It is exciting! I love watching the baby fish. I do not however enjoy having to remove all the rocks in my tank to remove preggar females (which seems to happen like every two weeks). :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fortunately she chose a pot to hide in which made catching her rather easy. She's hanging out now in a breeder net... getting another tank set up tomorrow. The case used to be I went bigger and bigger on tanks and now I'm reversing. I sure wish I hadn't gotten rid of any of my smaller tanks now. Hindsight!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Why not keep the hybrids in your home where you can control their futures? It seems like you weren't planning to breed yours either, or did I read it wrong?

Five females in a tank of 15 males are at risk. Malawi are harem breeders. The male will constantly harass the female until she is injured, sick or dead with a ratio of 1m:1f. The ideal for a peaceful Malawi species is 1m:4f.

Or if you are going for an all-male tank, you could give the females to your friends instead of the hybrids.

Fry are the cutest things, absolutely. And when I've had a hybrid dilemma, it was much easier to decide to let the mom spit in the tank beforehand than after when the poor innocent things were swimming around a fry tank looking adorable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had planned on going with an all male tank... sometimes things happen. Needless to say, I am setting up another tank today to move the females and decide what my next step is. Maybe I'll trade the females off for what are positively males or set up a fourth tank for breeding pairs specifically. Lots to think about. As for the fry, I might just turn them loose in the water troughs for my horses... they make GREAT mosquito and algae eaters and I have found live a very long time in them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts