Cichlid Fish Forum banner

i need some good advice

350 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  zimmy 
#1 ·
Hi there! I'm newish to cichlids and need some sound advice. To make a very long story shorter... 2 years ago I rescued a beaten up fish from a friends tank, he was about an inch long at the time. Well now he is about 6-7 inches and appears to be a frontosa. I have him in a 40 gln breeder tank. I would like to set him up in a large tank, I'm thinking a 125 gln, and introduce him to others of his kind. I have never had a tank larger than the 40 gln. Where do I start? Can I even put "Edward" (that's his name) with other fish at this point? I have researched canister filters, HOBs, internals like the Fluval U series, and good ole bio wheels. I just don't know which way to go with a tank of this size. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Jen & Edward the fish

#2 ·
First welcome to Cichlid-Forum! :thumb:
1. 125G would be great for "Edward". As far as adding more tankmates adding a few more Fronts should be fine, you might run into some aggression at first them trying to sort out their pecking order and if you end up with more than 1 male. You will probably want to end up with 1M/3-4F.
2. As far as filtration goes a larger canister filter will work. I also add a HOB for additional filtration and water movement. On my 125G I have a Fluval 405 and 2 Aquaclear 110. And on my 240G I have a FX5 and 2 AC110.
3. If you don't have the 125 yet I would suggest start checking out craigslist daily to find a good deal on a nice used tank.
GL

#5 ·
It's also important to consider that there isn't only one frontosa variant. You want to ensure that if you're getting more fronts, you get the same variant. It would be good to post a picture of Edward in the frontosa group to get help with identifying which variant he is.

This thread (from a dedicated frontosa forum) might also be helpful if you want to try identifying which variant your fish is on your own:

http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11854

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.