Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. I'm 99% sold on building a Plywood tank. TheFishGuy has also sold me on the PondArmor epoxy. They have 6 Base colors. I'm hoping to see some tanks that have different color backgrounds. I know what the Blue looks like due to TFG threads. I'm currently a Black BG guy but I think having 3 Walls of Black would be too much.

According to my Site the options are:

Black
Clear
Tan
Blue
Green (Forest)
Grey

I think I can rule out Black, Green, Clear.

Please let me know opinions!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
What kinds of colours will you have in the tank with your decor and fish? If you have bright colours on your fish, bright green plants and light sand I would suggest you don't rule out black quite yet... good contrast. Tan might work with a lot of root-like driftwood, small rocks and sand, maybe some bright schooling fish for a splash of colour. Blue screams Petsmart to me so I've never been a fan, but some tanks pull it off really well. And grey completely depends on the shade of grey.
Personal opinion; black backgrounds draw less attention to themselves so the focus stays on the fish whereas colours can draw the eye away from what should be the focus point.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have you considered building one?
No, although I admit they are nice I don't care for them in my personal tanks. I find no matter what they still look like a wall of pretend painted rocks.

What kinds of colours will you have in the tank with your decor and fish?
I will be moving my 2 Oscars (Lutino and Red) decor will be minimal as I like to keep it as natural as possible. My brother lives in Northern Ontario so when I do my yearly visit I make sure to grab some rock that has fallen from the Canadian Shield (some of which are aroudn the 70lb mark).

Tan might work with a lot of root-like driftwood, small rocks and sand,
I have Crushed Coral and some tan'ish coloured rock in the "doner" tank now and would be using those colours going forward... again natural looking.

The biggest drawback for black is the Red Oscar. Even with only one wall Black on the 135 I loose him a lot of the time. His Red hasn't become prominent like I thought it might.

I'm torn between Black, Tan and Grey I think.... I think Grey might just wash out the tank...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new here but not to keep fish. I'm in the same boat with the background. So what I'm currently doing is painting the background. My idea is black on the very bottom, then fade the black into a very dark blue, then the blue will be by itself at the top. The look I'm trying to get is when looking into the aquarium, it will have the illusion of depth to the water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts