Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I pulled 10g water out of the main tank and put into another tank. Caught the holding yellow lab and stripped her. I got about 25 swimmers that looked great.

The next morning all but one are dead. What could of happened or what can I do to prevent this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Complete failure. The last fry is dead. :(

Yes and no to the above. It was all new equipment, no substrate. But I used water and filter media from the main tank.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Very weird. Nothing except toxicity would kill that many fish that quickly. If it's not your water parameters (even overnight, an unfiltered 10g wouldn't have that much ammonia build-up), I'm going to guess it's some chemical residue on the tank or equipment. Or temperature shock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
Very weird. Nothing except toxicity would kill that many fish that quickly. If it's not your water parameters (even overnight, an unfiltered 10g wouldn't have that much ammonia build-up), I'm going to guess it's some chemical residue on the tank or equipment. Or temperature shock.
Thanks. I wondered about that. I rinsed the tank with water only. Should I have wiped it down? I don't think it was temp because both tanks thermos read 80f.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Possible that you could have forgotten the dechlor in the new tank?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Possible that you could have forgotten the dechlor in the new tank?
He says that he pulled the water from the existing tank...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree with earlier posts that this sounds like chemical toxicity. Any chance that your buckets, hoses or other gear were contaminated with household cleaners or soap residue? A friend once did a water change and mistakenly grabbed the mop bucket unstead of the fish bucket; his tank was a total loss the next morning.

·
Registered
226 Posts
average 28 days to spit frey. personaly dont agree with striping. i breed fo one LFS have never striped . had one lab give me 100's of frey. there is much joy in the 28 dats its like mom gets to know you..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Think the mom could have eaten them if she was really hungry? Hey, You never know lol..

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
He did not say they were gone, but dead. I assumed that meant bodies were found.

Yes the mom would have eaten them if left with the fry a couple days. Sounds like things did not get that far.

It does seem like something unknown got into the tank. You tested pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate just in case the morning you found them dead?

I have had a tank killed off for no known reason (nothing shows in the test results), it does shake the confidence. I assume I had something on my hands when I put them in the tank water, or a family member used an aerosol cleaner or workshop material with toxic fumes or something like that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i once had a clear bottle of bilge pump cleaner for my boat and dechlorinator both the same color and i accidentaly used the bilge instead of the dechlorinator killed a solid 3 breeding groups

·
Registered
226 Posts
"He did not say they were gone, but dead. I assumed that meant bodies were found." ransom rocket science what i heard him say was he killed mom and frey by striping which can cause problems even with the frey! i have a mom and dad juli. (julidochromis maleri) still living with there second clutch. i have a male trevwasse still living with his clutch. i have a ob female peacok still living with her clutch. i have a red top peacock that was almost killed by another malawi and they have been living together for many months as well to gether with a 18 inch pink red bay snook.. i said all that to say watch your tank's not only at feeding time we can learn a lot save the rocket science for the salties..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts