Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has been set up for a couple months now and everything was going well until I lost a yellow lab today. I found him on the bottom. I have an 80g bow front with 6 yellow labs, 2 demasoni, and 3 maingano so far. I am planning on upping the dems soon. They are all small (2" or smaller) They have not been fighting and I tested nitrates and nitrites and they are ok. I have been feeding them once a day lately, so I am wondering if he could have been malnourished. Is it a possibility that I was feeding too little? There are no signs of disease etc. Any idea what the cause is? Oh and water changes have been done 25% every 2 weeks or so.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Sorry for your loss. :(

For a fish to die from being underfed it would be very skinny...belly concave. Was he?

What about ammonia test results? When you say nitrite was OK, that means zero? And when you say nitrate was OK, that means under 40ppm?

Before the fish died, did it eat, poop, breathe and stay in-near the rocks normally?

Did you cycle with fish?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
his belly looked a little concave perhaps but I though that might just have been the effects of his fatality. I did not test the ammonia - I will test that when I get home if that can be a cause. Yes for the other tests they were at zero (the lowest reading when tested) Before it died I didnt notice any abnormal behavior. I am still a newb at this so I am not sure what to look for.

Yes I cycled the tank for a month with 3 yellow labs before I added more.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Could've been residual effects of the cycling - that can really harm a fish in the long run. If not, it doesn't sound like your water is to blame... Sometimes fish die.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Your nitrate should not be zero if your tank is cycled. When you post your test results, we may know more.

Any fish that went through a cycle has permanent damage and it would not be unexpected for him/her to die. The ones that did not go through the cycle should be OK if everything else is OK however.

What about this part?
Before the fish died, did it eat, poop, breathe and stay in-near the rocks normally?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about this part?
[/quote]

Yes everything was normal before it died. I think you may be right about him being a fish that was part of the cycling. So far so good with the others.

thanks for the replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts